Never in my almost seven decades of life have I labeled a Pope “awesome”. Now, with Pope Francis at the Vatican helm, I can finally say it. This Pope is awesome.
How can one tell just how great Pope Francis really is? Just look at all the right-wing talking points against the Pope…
A recent interview with Archbishop Konrad Krajewski, the “Almoner of His Holiness,” raised speculation that the Pope joins him on his nightly trips into Rome to give alms to the poor, and it turns out that the rumors are probably true.
A knowledgable source in Rome told The Huffington Post that “Swiss guards confirmed that the pope has ventured out at night, dressed as a regular priest, to meet with homeless men and women.”
Krajewski earlier said, “When I say to him ‘I’m going out into the city this evening’, there’s the constant risk that he will come with me,” and he merely smiled and ducked the question when reporters asked him point-blank whether the Pope accompanied him into the city.
He’s not the only Pope known for nocturnal wanderings. There are stories of Pope John XIII sneaking out to enjoy the beauty of Rome in the evenings, and reports tell of Pope Pius XII dressing as a Franciscan during WWII to help smuggle Rome’s Jewish population to safety. More recently, Pope Benedict XVI popped out unannounced to visit an art exhibit.
When Pope Francis was Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, he was known to sneak out at night to break bread with the homeless, sitting with them on the street and eating with them to show that they were loved.
And we love him for doing it now.
- Leaving The Vatican At Night (sandystrachan.wordpress.com)
- Is Pope Francis Leaving Vatican At Night To See The Homeless? (kindnessblog.com)
- Is Pope Francis Leaving Vatican At Night To See The Homeless? (toddlohenry.com)
- Is Pope Francis Leaving Vatican At Night To See The Homeless? (theobamacrat.com)
- Pope Francis Reportedly Leaving Vatican at Night to Minister to Homeless of Rome (globalrumblings.blogspot.com)