Some people are stubbornly myopic when it comes to accepting *social norms. However, Cohen’s article is pure vitriolic dribble.
Richard Cohen Writes Yet Another Racist Column
Richard Cohen is back at it again, this time with incendiary comments about interracial marriage and lesbians.
In his November 11 column in the Washington Post entitled “Christie’s tea-party problem,” Cohen said that the GOP has had trouble embracing some of the country’s cultural shifts. He wrote:
Today’s GOP is not racist, as Harry Belafonte alleged about the tea party, but it is deeply troubled — about the expansion of government, about immigration, about secularism, about the mainstreaming of what used to be the avant-garde. People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York — a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (Should I mention that Bill de Blasio’s wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?) This family represents the cultural changes that have enveloped parts — but not all — of America. To cultural conservatives, this doesn’t look like their country at all.
*In fact, according to a Gallup poll conducted earlier this year, 87 percent of Americans approve of interracial marriage between blacks and whites.
- Richard Cohen Makes Incendiary Comments About Interracial Marriage, Lesbians (huffingtonpost.com)
- No, gagging over interracial marriage is not the ‘conventional view’ (washingtonpost.com)
- Richard Cohen May Have A Problem With Interracial Marriage, But Few Conservatives Do (businessinsider.com)
- Interracial Marriage (kellynsite.wordpress.com)
- Interracial Marriage Report and Findings (kellynsite.wordpress.com)
- Washington Post Columnist Says People With Conventional Viewpoints Want To ‘Gag’ When They See An Interracial Family (businessinsider.com)