…and I don’t care for Reince Priebus so in this particular instance he and I are even.
Republican National Committee chairman Reince Priebus assured social conservatives on Monday that the GOP was not going to embrace “tolerance” as part of its rebranding efforts.
“I don’t know if I’ve used the word ‘tolerance,’ I don’t really care for that word myself,” he told theChristian Broadcasting Network. “I don’t have a problem with it, I just think it has another meaning politically that can go the other direction.”
Priebus said Republicans would continue to oppose same-sex marriage and seek to ban abortion in the United States. He described both as “foundational issues,” but said Republicans needed to adopted a more tolerant tone.
“If you’re looking at the evidence, what you will see is a party that embraces life, a party that embraces marriage and a chairman that understands that there’s only one sovereign God and that we ultimately aren’t dependent on what happens in politics,” Priebus explained. “What ultimately matters in our lives is that we’re salt and light in the world and that we’re honoring God in the things that we do every day. I get that. I think our party gets that and there’s never been a movement away from that.”
An “autopsy report” released by the RNC earlier this year encouraged Republicans to reach out to LGBT voters, citing “generational difference within the conservative movement.” Less than a month later, the RNC unanimously adopted resolutions opposing same-sex marriage.
Watch video, uploaded to YouTube by Right Wing Watch, below:
- RNC Chair Priebus: Don’t Worry, Bigots, the GOP Is Not Embracing “Tolerance” (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- RNC Chair Reince Priebus: GOP Not Embracing ‘Tolerance’ (crooksandliars.com)
- This is Reince Priebus on tolerance (dailykos.com)
- GOP Chairman Reince Priebus Does Not Care for the Word ‘Tolerance’ (pensitoreview.com)
- RNC Chairman Reince Priebus goes all in for amnesty at NALEO (fireandreamitchell.com)
- Reince Priebus vs. Ken Mehlman on gay marriage (firstread.nbcnews.com)
- Only On Brody File: RNC Chairman Says Traditional Marriage Here To Stay: Also Calls For New Testament “Grace, Love And Respect” (blogs.cbn.com)