So, there you have it…
Just as Republicans and their media lackeys were getting their Obama scandal machine fired up, President Obama killed both the Benghazi and IRS “scandals” in a couple of hours.
The president put a stake through the heart of the GOP’s attempts to revive Benghazi by releasing 100 pages of emails. (Now, the world can see how badly Jon Karl and ABC News got played when they used the summaries of someone else’s notes.) The Washington Post’s Greg Sargent published an email from Tommy Vietor, who until recently was the spokesperson for the National Security Council. Vietor wrote, “Regarding the talking points, it’s not surprising that the entire government would want the chance to look at and edit that language. This was a dynamic situation and new information was constantly flowing in, and different agencies had important concerns that had to be addressed – the State Department had security concerns, the FBI was worried about its investigation, and the CIA had a major, yet still undisclosed, role.”
Republicans are putting out vague statements about contradictions, but Benghazi is pretty much finished as a scandal. It is difficult to accuse the White House of a cover up, when they’ve released all the emails.
The second part of the one-two punch was Obama speaking about the IRS scandal.
- Two scandals deflated, one persists (kstreet607.com)
- Nothing To See Here! O’Donnell Says IRS And Benghazi Are NOT Scandals: ‘IRS Agents Did Nothing Wrong’ (mediaite.com)
- Story on Benghazi leaks starts to unravel (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- CNN Blows Huge Hole In GOP Efforts To Prosecute Benghazi Scandal (forbes.com)
- An Interview With Barack Obama About The IRS Scandal, AP Phone Records And Benghazi (philosophers-stone.co.uk)