President Barack Obama on Friday sparked a Twitter explosion when he said in a press conference that he can’t perform a “Jedi mind meld” on the GOP, a phrase tweeters were quick to jab at, noting that the president should have said “Jedi mind trick.” The president also drew Twitter snark when he said that when it comes to negotiating with Congress on issues like averting the sequester, “I am not a dictator. I’m the president.” — a line that comes hours before sequestration is set to kick in. Here’s a look at how the political Twitterverse reacted:
BREAKING: The President has apparently conflated Star Wars & Star Trek. it’s a Jedi mind trick and Vulcan mind meld.
— Ari Shapiro (@arishapiro) March 1, 2013
One for the books: || WASHINGTON (AP) – Obama says he can’t do ‘Jedi mind meld’ and persuade Republican leaders to do what’s right.
— Mike Memoli (@mikememoli) March 1, 2013
Or maybe that is Nerd-in-chief?Anyway, there’s no such thing as a Jedi Mind Meld.
— Catholic Democrats (@CatholicDems) March 1, 2013
Jedi mind TRICK, not meld. Impeach this clown.
— daveweigel (@daveweigel) March 1, 2013
How will the “devastating cuts” from the sequester impact the Jedi Academy?
— Garrett Quinn (@GarrettQuinn) March 1, 2013
point to the Republicans RT @dougheye: Star Wars has the Jedi Mind Trick. Spock uses the Mind Meld. Come on, Mr. President!
— Jonathan Tamari (@JonathanTamari) March 1, 2013
Awesomeness is. RT @simonmaloy Obama: “I cannot do a Jedi mind meld.” What is happening?
— Heidi N. Moore (@moorehn) March 1, 2013
— Alex Weprin (@alexweprin) March 1, 2013
The president has to politely inform them he is not, in fact, a dictator. Weird strain of caudilloism in Beltway press.
— Christopher Hayes (@chrislhayes) March 1, 2013
“I am not a dictator, I’m the president.” Oh my god, the press releases, I can already see them.
— Elise Foley (@elisefoley) March 1, 2013
“I’m not a dictator I’m the president” THREAT! THREAT!!!!
— HuffPost Hill (@HuffPostHill) March 1, 2013
— Josh Marshall (@joshtpm) March 1, 2013
- Obama got it right with ‘Jedi mind meld,’ says Star Trek’s Sulu (tv.msnbc.com)
- Obama’s ‘Jedi Mind Meld’ Shatters His Nerd Credibility (theatlanticwire.com)
- Jedi Mind Meld (boingboing.net)
- Obama refers to ‘Jedi mind meld,’ sees nerd cred plummet (robot6.comicbookresources.com)
- Obama: ‘I Am Not A Dictator,’ Can’t Just Use ‘Jedi Mind Meld’ To Force GOP Into Deal (mediaite.com)
- Sci-fail: Genius Obama says he ‘can’t do a Jedi mind meld’ (twitchy.com)
- Obama Evokes Nerd Rage With ‘Jedi Mind Meld’ Comment (geek-news.mtv.com)