Uh…that GOP moratorium on the word rape seems to have dissipated…
The bill by Rep. Cathrynn Brown would require victims of rape to carry fetuses to term or be accused of tampering with evidence.
“Tampering with evidence shall include procuring or facilitating an abortion, or compelling or coercing another to obtain an abortion, of a fetus that is the result of criminal sexual penetration or incest with the intent to destroy evidence of the crime,” the bill says.
Third-degree felonies in New Mexico carry a sentence of up to three years in prison.
Pat Davis of ProgressNow New Mexico, a progressive nonprofit opposing the bill, called it “blatantly unconstitutional” on Thursday.
“The bill turns victims of rape and incest into felons and forces them to become incubators of evidence for the state,” he said. “According to Republican philosophy, victims who are ‘legitimately raped’ will now have to carry the fetus to term in order to prove their case.“
- New Mexico bill would criminalize abortions after rape as ‘tampering with evidence’ (sott.net)
- New bill would criminalize abortions (bazaardaily.com)
- GOP Lawmaker Wants to Charge Rape Victims Who Have Abortions with ‘Evidence Tampering’ (gawker.com)
- NM Bill Would Require Rape Victims To Stay Pregnant For ‘Evidence’ (crooksandliars.com)
- NEW MEXICO: GOP Bill Would Charge Rape Victims Who Get An Abortion (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- NM Bill: Post-Rape Abortion Is Evidence Tampering (newser.com)
- Insane New Republican Bill Would Send Women to Jail for Having Abortions After Rape (littlegreenfootballs.com)