Is there any wonder why the POTUS picked Fox News the least in his first term news conferences?
Ironically, while I’ve routinely avoided Fox News for many years now, I stopped watching ABC after the 2008 debate in which George Stephanopoulos and Charlie Gibson openly hammered then candidate Barack Obama on every question.
Conversely, their questions to Hillary Clinton were softballs in comparison to the questions they lobbed at Obama.
The University of Minnesota’s Eric Ostermeier tallied up the number of questions each member of the White House press corp had been able to ask during all of Obama’s first term press conferences. ABC, CBS, the Associated Press and NBC led the pack, with ABC having been selected for questioning 29 times over 36 solo press conferences. (Overall, reporters have had fewer chances to ask questionsthan any White House press corps since Ronald Reagan’s.)
It makes sense that the wires and broadcast networks have had the most opportunities to question Obama. They traditionally are the first to be called on at any press conference, and their reach is bigger than any other outlet.
Bloomberg — whose business-oriented audience would likely be one Obama wanted to target during the depths of the recession — was also a winner, being selected 20 times.
Fox News, though it has a reach that far outstrips its competitors and sometimes rivals the broadcast networks, was in ninth place on the list, having been called on 14 times. CNN, by comparison, was called on 16 times. Ostermeier said the network had been “shunned,” which may be overstating things a bit.
When Obama has called on Fox News, he often winds up verbally sparring with its reporters in one way or another.
NBC’s Chuck Todd and ABC’s Jake Tapper (now at CNN) were called on the most of any reporters — they each got 23 chances to question Obama.
Read the full study here.
- Is the White House freezing Fox out of pressers? (hotair.com)
- Obama Still Shuns Fox News (politicalwire.com)
- President Obama Avoids Fox News At Press Conferences [STUDY] (valuewalk.com)
- Study: Obama ‘shuns’ Fox News at pressers (politico.com)
- Fox News ‘shunned’ at Obama news conferences? (washingtonpost.com)
- Obama ‘Shuns’ Fox at Press Conferences (newser.com)
- Rise of the Left: Rachel Maddow and Lawrence O’Donnnell Beat Fox for an Entire Week (kaystreet.wordpress.com)