The National Rifle Association, the influential lobbying group that is a driving force behind America’s lax gun laws, on Tuesday released its first statement since the mass shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, that killed 26 people. Read the statement below:
National Rifle Association of America is made up of four million moms and dads, sons and daughters — and we were shocked, saddened and heartbroken by the news of the horrific and senseless murders in Newtown.
Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, we have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.
The NRA is prepared to offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.
The NRA is planning to hold a major news conference in the Washington, DC area on Friday, December 21.
- NRA goes on lockdown (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- After massacre, the NRA can’t take the heat (tv.msnbc.com)
- NRA Releases Statement on Sandy Hill Elementary Massacre (thetruthaboutguns.com)
- NRA Deactivates Facebook Page (fastcompany.com)
- NRA Responds To Sandy Hook Massacre (jtm71.wordpress.com)