The Pentagon has identified the Navy SEAL killed during the weekend rescue mission in Afghanistan as Petty Officer 1st Class Nicolas D. Checque of Monroeville, Pa.
A Defense Department statement says the 28-year-old Checque died of combat-related injuries but gave no further details of the mission. He was among members of SEAL Team Six, which freed an American doctor abducted by the Taliban.
It is the same team that killed Osama bin Laden last year, but it’s unclear whether Checque was on the bin Laden mission.
Officials in Afghanistan say Dr. Dilip Joseph of Colorado Springs, Colo., was rescued in eastern Afghanistan. The military says the adviser for Colorado Springs-based Morning Star Development was abducted last week and rescued after intelligence showed he was in imminent danger of injury or possible death.
- SEAL Team Six member killed in Afghanistan rescue (bostonherald.com)
- Navy SEAL killed in rescue was from Pennsylvania (bostonherald.com)
- Monroeville Navy SEAL Killed During Afghanistan Rescue (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Nicolas D. Checque Identified as Navy SEAL Team 6 Member Killed During Doctor-Rescue Mission in Afghanistan (foxnewsinsider.com)
- Rescued doctor’s family extends condolences (miamiherald.com)