Michigan Governor Rick Snyder will surely feel the blow-back from his unethical actions last week…
For two years, we supported Snyder as he took painful steps to restore Michigan’s fiscal stability and confront a crisis in which plunging tax revenues and mounting obligations to retired workers threatened to cripple the state’s cities and school districts.
We criticized the governor for signing legislation that burdened a woman’s right to choose, condoned discrimination against gays, and beggared colleges and universities to pay for business tax cuts.
But we also indulged many compromises Snyder maintained were necessary to advance his pro-growth agenda. And when ideologues on the right and left mounted campaigns designed to hamstring state government by limiting its authority to raise revenues, regulate labor relations, and fund critically needed infrastructure, we joined the governor in opposing them.
In short, we trusted Snyder’s judgment.
That trust has now been betrayed — for us, and for the hundreds of thousand of independents who voted for Snyder with the conviction that they were electing someone more independent, and more visionary, than partisan apparatchiks like Wisconsin’s Scott Walker or Florida’s Rick Scott.
- Michigan Governor Snyder Slammed For Sneaking Through Anti-Union Rules (alan.com)
- Top Michigan Newspaper Turns On Snyder: Slams Governor For Sneaking Through Anti-Union ‘Right-To-Work’ Legislation (thinkprogress.org)
- Michigan Paper that supported Gov. Snyder for 2 years slams the hell out of him, calls anti-union tactics ‘Pure greed’ (freakoutnation.com)
- Michigan hurtles toward anti-union law (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- LETTER – Snyder betrays Michigan workers (hollandsentinel.com)