I couldn’t agree more with John Aravosis of America Blog.
The following article is spot on in it’s condemnation of the Obama administration considering possible Medicare cuts to help pay for the deficit which in fact, was brought on by two unpaid wars and an unpaid prescription program during the George W. Bush administration.
Aravosis correctly attributes George W. Bush’s lies in the lead up to the Iraq war and the subsequent neglect of the Afghanistan initiative, to the approximate 3 trillion dollar cost of both wars which ultimately led to a soaring deficit. Not to mention the ten year, unpaid for Bush Tax Cuts, all of which got us into this deficit mess in the first place…
I cannot believe that Democrats are even considering raising the eligibility age for Medicare as part of the “fiscal cliff” negotiations.
First off, $15bn a year is hardly significant savings, and that’s what you save (at a maximum – some argue it’s significantly less) when you raise the Medicare eligibility age from 65 to 67: a whopping $15bn a year.
You know how much George Bush’s little venture in Iraq has been costing us per year? In FY 2011, $46 billion. That’s three times the savings from cutting Medicare.
And overall, the damn war is going to cost us $3 trillion, according to Joe Stiglitz. $3 trillion for George Bush’s lie. But let’s cut all of our Medicare coverage for two years in order to pay for the Republican party’s lie of the decade, along with their other lie of the decade, Bush’s tax cuts, that supposedly were going to pay for themselves.
The tax cuts and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan combined eat up the lion’s share of the deficit over the coming years. (See the chart to the right.) So let’s cuts Medicare instead!
Just to be clear, those tax cuts and Bush’s little wars are going to be paid for by cutting your and my Medicare coverage.
You don’t see John McCain and Lindsey Graham calling for any hearings on why were lied to about any of those subjects, do you?
- Bush 43 Calls For Immigration Reform (drudge.com)
- Remember George H.W. Bush’s whole “Read my lips: No new taxes” deal? Fun fact: He broke his pledge during a battle similar to the fiscal cliff crisis currently encircling Washington. (shortformblog.com)
- GOP ready for any entitlements victory (politico.com)
- Democrats Explode When GOP Tries to Blame Deficit on Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security (politicususa.com)
- The Bush Tax Cut Issue in One Chart (reason.com)
- Five scenarios on the Fiscal Cliff, plus a bonus! (wherearemykeys.typepad.com)