This serves as more proof on just how dysfunctional the GOP has become.
In their effort to undermine the Dems and specifically President Obama, who McConnell announced would be a one-term President through a concerted GOP effort, they have only shown their gross ineptitude and inability to govern under any circumstance.
In this case it was a debt reduction legislative plan that Sen. McConnell proposed…and then objected to. The Senator filibustered his OWN proposal.
Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) may have made United States senate history today when he beat his own legislative baloney, blocking a straight up-or-down vote on a proposal that he, himself, offered for a vote Thursday morning. The bill, which would have taken the debt ceiling gun away from the head of the U.S. economy by requiring a two-thirds majority to override a presidential increase to the debt ceiling, was McConnell’s idea, but when Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid agreed with McConnell’s request for a vote on the bill Thursday afternoon, McConnell objected.
- Democrats watch in awe as McConnell filibusters himself (rawstory.com)
- Mitch McConnell filibusters himself into making the case for filibuster reform (dailykos.com)
- Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill (alan.com)
- Mitch McConnell is so addicted to the filibuster that he just filibustered his own bill (freakoutnation.com)
- Sen. Mitch McConnell Filibusters His Own Bill; Another first in politics this year…. (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Mitch McConnell’s own debt ceiling bill gets filibustered by Mitch McConnell (examiner.com)
- Mitch McConnell Makes Congressional History: He Filibusters Himself (No Joke) (themoderatevoice.com)