Right wing politicians want to take us back decades in terms of individual rights. They and their constituents want to take us back decades before civil rights legislation, including voting rights. One of their “dog whistles” to their constituents is “we’re gonna take our country back!”
What this should tell every progressive and forward leaning citizen is that the GOP has put us in a dangerous place. Not only that, their low-information, nay, crazy supporters are perfect subjects to cling to the GOP perception of dominance.
Just recently a raucous women who was about to be arrested told police “it’s ok, I’m a Republican…” They honestly think that the GOP has given them their “privileged” status back and placed minorities “where they belong”.
A California man’s Halloween yard decoration earned him a meeting with the Secret Service earlier this week.
In an interview with the Press-Enterprise, Eddie Million of Moreno Valley admitted that his addition of an effigy of President Barack Obama with a noose around its neck was a low point in his attempt to turn his house into a “spooky” scene for a Halloween party.
“I started thinking how bad it looked, and I took it down immediately,” Million told reporters after being questioned by Secret Service agents on Tuesday. “If I had it to do all over again, I absolutely wouldn’t have done it. It was not meant to offend anybody. It was just supposed to be a decoration.”
The episode was initially touched off by complaints from neighbors, which eventually led to local media reports and a visit from police at the beginning of the week. Million said the Secret Service interviewed him and asked for his information, but took no further action.
Inflammatory displays — whatever their actual intents or purposes — have grown increasingly controversial as the nation approaches Election Day. A speech at the Republican National Convention by actor Clint Eastwood to an empty seat that was supposed to represent Obama set off a wave of empty chair “lynching” displays.
Others have been more direct and vitriolic. A yard sign in Aspen, Colo. that read “Kill Obama” recently drew the attention of the Secret Service, who paid the property owner a visit.
- California man visited by Secret Service after he hangs an effigy of Obama from a noose on his front lawn (dailymail.co.uk)
- Only On CBS2: Secret Service Visits IE Home After Obama Effigy Hung From Noose (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- California man’s hanged Obama effigy brings surprise trick or treat visit from the Secret Service (privateinvesigations.blogspot.com)
- Obama effigy removed after Secret Service visit (kfwbam.com)
- Man: Obama Effigy Not Meant To Offend (personalliberty.com)
- California Man Displays An Effigy Of Obama In His Front Yard! (bossip.com)