October 17. 2012
A Florida judge Wednesday set a June 10, 2013, date for the trial of George Zimmerman on charges of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, USA TODAY’s Yamiche Alcindor reports.
The unarmed 17-year-old was killed in February as he was walking in a gated Sanford community toward his father’s house.
Zimmerman, 29, has pleaded not guilty on grounds of self defense.
Zimmerman and his wife Shellie, 25, are living in hiding in Seminole County awaiting trial.
She is charged with perjury for allegedly lying at her husband’s first bond hearing regarding the family’s finances.
Judge Debra Nelson, who was presiding over the case for the first time Wednesday since being appointed, pressed prosecutor Bernie de la Rionda and Zimmerman attorney Mark O’Mara for timing before determining that June would be an appropriate month.
INTERACTIVE: The Trayvon Martin case: A multimedia timeline
“June makes sense because it gives us a target date,” O’Mara said shortly after the hearing. “I have no idea between now and then if we’ll be ready. We’re going to try to be ready.”
O’Mara told the judge that the trial would most likely last three weeks. De la Rionda agreed.
O’Mara added that the defense is in the middle of taking depositions and is trying to gather all the information and discovery the prosecution has.
Attorneys for both sides will be back in court Friday to discuss discovery issues, subpoenas for Trayvon’s school records, and motions by the news media to keep the facts of the case public, USA TODAY’s Alcindor adds.
Ed. Note: The Fifth Column has a page dedicated to the Trayvon Martin case as well.
- George Zimmerman Trial Date Set (mediaanarchist.wordpress.com)
- George Zimmerman’s trial tentatively set for June 10 (jacksonville.com)
- Trial Date Set For George Zimmerman In Trayvon Martin Case (miami.cbslocal.com)
- George Zimmerman Trial Date Set for June 10, 2013 (atlantablackstar.com)
- Tentative June Trial Set For Zimmerman In Trayvon Martin Case (tampa.cbslocal.com)
- George Zimmerman Trial Date Set (newsone.com)