They’ve been doing this for the past week or so. The GOP is trying to make the Benghazi embassy incident into political hay for their side.
GOP Representative Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) has repeatedly blamed President Barack Obama for the September 11th attacks on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya, in which Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed. Chaffetz has also spearheaded the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee’s October 10th hearing to address the alleged security lapses that led to the deaths, in what the Salt Lake Tribune calls an “political stunt.” But it turns out that any lack of security around the U.S. embassy could be directly attributable to budget cuts that Chaffetz voted for.
On this morning’s Starting Point, CNN’s Soledad O’Brien called Chaffetz out during a tense interview:
O’Brien: “Is it true that you voted to cut the funding for embassy security?”
Chaffetz: “Absolutely. Look, we have to make priorities and choices in this country.”
O’Brien: “Okay, so you’re prioritizing. So when there are complaints that, in fact, that there was not enough security, you’ve just said, ‘absolutely’, that you cut — that you were the one to vote against — security for the State Department, which would lead to Benghazi. That seems to say that you had a hand in the responsibility for this.”
Watch video here…
According to Raw Story, who’ve also reported on today’s CNN interview, Chaffetz is a Mormon and has been actively campaigning for GOP Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney.
- GOP Congressman Votes To Cut Funding For Embassy Security, Then Blames Obama For Libya Attacks (VIDEO) (addictinginfo.org)
- Jason Chaffetz Admits House GOP AND PAUL RYAN Cut Funding For Embassy Security: ‘You Have To Prioritize Things’ (ebbandflowofcurrentaffairs.com)
- Rep. Chaffetz says he “absolutely” cut funding for embassy security (cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com)
- Soledad O’Brien presses Romney surrogate who voted to cut embassy funding but blames Obama for attacks (rawstory.com)
- Jason Chaffetz Admits House Republicans Cut Funding For Embassy Security (alan.com)
- GOP Rep: I ‘Absolutely’ Voted To Cut Funding For Embassy Security (thinkprogress.org)
- The GOP’s embassy security problem (maddowblog.msnbc.com)