Matt Drudge continues to capture the attention of the polical media “because of his brand recognition and, in 2012, because he has a direct line to the Romney campaign.”
But Drudge has used this position to continually mislead the public and the media. Tuesday night’s “bombshell” was just one of many recent examples. Here are 10 completely fake banner stories by Drudge in 2012:
1. Obama proposed to “repeat” auto bailout for every industry in America
Obama just didn’t say that. He said he wanted to bring back manufacturing jobs to every industry. You can read the transcript.
2. Obama “admits fabricating” his girlfriend in his memoir
As the Atlantic reported: “Obama is clear at the start of the book that certain characters are composites, writing, ‘For the sake of compression, some of the characters that appear are composites of people I’ve known, and some events appear out of precise chronology.’”
3. New evidence that Obama was “born in Kenya”
It was actually just an error in a pamphlet produced by his literary agent’s assistant.
4. Obama is giving out free phones
The “Obama phone” is really a program started by Reagan and expanded by Bush that provides subsidized phone service to low-income Americans.
5. Condoleeza Rice at the top of Romney’s list for Vice President
In response to the Drudge Report banner, which recieved wide-spread attention in the press, Rice said that “all of her previous statements denying interest in being Romney’s vice presidential pick ‘still stand.’” In a June interview with CBS, Rice said “there is not way I would do this… I don’t see myself in any way in elected office.”
6. Sherrif Joe Arpaio has uncovered evidence that Obama’s birth certificate is fake
The new evidence was just a collection of warmed over theories from internet conspiracy websites.
7. David Petreaus under consideration for Romney’s Vice President
It’s unclear how President Obama would know the internal deliberations of the Romney campaign. Nevertheless, the White House “flatly denied” the report, stating “such an assertion has never been uttered by the president.” A Petraeus spokesman said “as he has stated clearly numerous times before, he will not seek elected office.”
8. Biden proposed a “global tax”
As the Hill noted at the time, Biden was referring to a tax “under which the American government would impose a domestic tax on American companies that were shipping jobs — or profits — overseas to avoid paying taxes.” The Obama administration regularly discusses the proposal.
9. Obama had time to meet with a pirate but not Netanyahu
In September, Drudge suggested that Obama found time to meet with a pirate but not Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The photo was actually taken in May 2009 for the White House Correspondents Dinner.
10. Explosive new video of “race speech” will expose Obama
The “new” video was a speech from 2007 that was widely reported at the time. The only new footage was of Obama criticizing the federal government’s response to Katrina.
In addition, Drudge regularly links to internet conspiracy websites, including those that promote the idea that 9/11 was an “inside job.”
October 2, 2012
- Even Republicans unimpressed by Drudge video (washingtonpost.com)
- Republicans unimpressed by Drudge video: I’m unimpressed with some Republicans (riehlworldview.com)
- Fox News and Matt Drudge turn ‘pirate’ gag into international incident (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Shelf life of Drudge’s ‘racism’ vid looks short (theblaze.com)
- DRUDGE TEASES ‘CAMPAIGN DRAMA’ TAPE TO DROP TONIGHT, Bryan Preston writes at the Tatler. Latest head… (pjmedia.com)
- Is This Obama’s ‘Other Race Speech’ That Drudge And Fox News Are Teasing? (mediaite.com)
- Why the Drudge Tape Shouldn’t Overshadow Libya News (nationalreview.com)