David Brooks’ Op-ed in The New York Times has many pundits talking…
In 1980, about 30 percent of Americans received some form of government benefits. Today, as Nicholas Eberstadt of the American Enterprise Institute has pointed out, about 49 percent do.
In 1960, government transfers to individuals totaled $24 billion. By 2010, that total was 100 times as large. Even after adjusting for inflation, entitlement transfers to individuals have grown by more than 700 percent over the last 50 years. This spending surge, Eberstadt notes, has increased faster under Republican administrations than Democratic ones.
There are sensible conclusions to be drawn from these facts. You could say that the entitlement state is growing at an unsustainable rate and will bankrupt the country. You could also say that America is spending way too much on health care for the elderly and way too little on young families and investments in the future.
But these are not the sensible arguments that Mitt Romney made at a fund-raiser earlier this year. Romney, who criticizes President Obama for dividing the nation, divided the nation into two groups: the makers and the moochers. Forty-seven percent of the country, he said, are people “who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them, who believe they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you name it.”
This comment suggests a few things. First, it suggests that he really doesn’t know much about the country he inhabits. Who are these freeloaders? Is it the Iraq war veteran who goes to the V.A.? Is it the student getting a loan to go to college? Is it the retiree on Social Security or Medicare?
It suggests that Romney doesn’t know much about the culture of America. Yes, the entitlement state has expanded, but America remains one of the hardest-working nations on earth. Americans work longer hours than just about anyone else. Americans believe in work more than almost any other people. Ninety-two percent say that hard work is the key to success, according to a 2009 Pew Research Survey.
- Entitled Pandering Pathological Liar Mitt Romney Adds Racism to His Resume (politicususa.com)
- Romney to pledge to fix troubled US immigration system (reuters.com)
- Sad clown Mitt Romney BUYS over 100,000 new Twitter followers! (dangerousminds.net)
- Идиот: Vladimir Putin cracks sarcastic put-down of Mitt Romney’s foreign policy prowess (dangerousminds.net)
- Kenworthy: We’re All Dependent On Government, and It Has Long Been Thus (economistsview.typepad.com)
- Off-Record Mitt Romney Says ’47 Percent’ Of Americans Are ‘Entitled’: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Vote for the Guy You Disagree With (blogs.hbr.org)
- Maddow befuddled by snooty Romney donors: These must be leftist protesters (rawstory.com)
- Op-Ed Columnist: Advantage, Obama (nytimes.com)