In my opinion, this is a fascinating read. Juan Cole, a prolific writer and Historian, has written something on his blog Informed Consent that, to my knowledge, no one else in the media has touched on regarding the origin and the responsible parties of the now infamous Muslim smear movie that caused the riots in North Africa.
This piece is riveting and informative.
The late science fiction writer Ray Bradbury authored a short story about time travelers. They were careful, when they went back to the Jurassic, not to change anything, but one of them stepped on a butterfly. When they got back to the present, the world was slightly different.
When scientists studying complexity put forward the idea that small initial events could have large effects in non-linear, dynamic systems like the weather, they chose the term ‘butterfly effect.” One of the images students of weather instanced was that a butterfly flapping its wings might set off minor turbulence that ultimately turned into a hurricane. (In the older model of Newtonian physics, small events have small effects and large events have large effects, so you wouldn’t expect a minor action to produce big changes).
So the Associated Press did a careful investigation of the ‘Sam Bacile’ who supposedly directed the hate film, ‘The Innocence of Muslims.’And AP found that probably he does not exist, but is a persona used by a convicted Coptic Egyptian fraudster, Nakoula Bassely Nakoula.
But the story gets more complex. Nakoula had Coptic and evangelical associates in the shooting of the film, including Steve Klein, a former Marine and current extremist Christian who has helped train militiamen in California churches and has led “protests outside abortion clinics, Mormon templesand mosques.” My guess is that most of the Egyptian Copts involved are converts to American-style fundamentalism.
The Egyptian Coptic church has roundly condemned the hateful film they made smearing the Prophet Muhammad.
Anyway, the bigotry of the edited film, directed at Muslims, is part of a movement of religious prejudice that also targets . . . Mormons.
Mitt Romney may want to rethink his ‘visceral’ reaction to the US embassy in Cairo’s tweet condemning the group’s hate speech.
Then it turns out that the film was shot in such a way that there was originally no mention of the Prophet Muhammad in the script, and the cast had no idea what they were getting themselves into, and then the name of Muhammad was clumsily dubbed into the final edit.
- Israeli filmmaker in hiding as protesters outraged by portrayal of Prophet Muhammad (rt.com)
- Romney Jumps the Shark: Libya, Egypt and the Butterfly Effect (juancole.com)
- Law enforcement confirms convicted fraudster behind anti-Muslim movie (rt.com)
- APNewsBreak: US identifies anti-Muslim filmmaker (seattlepi.com)
- Busted: Anti Muslim film maker likely identified [AP] (bazaardaily.com)
- 12 Essential points about the offensive film on the Prophet Muhammad, and the subsequent reactions in Libya & Egypt – Blog: What Would Muhammad Do? (religionnews.com)
- News & World Events – Re: American Killed in Libya Amid Protests Over Anti-Islam M (disclose.tv)
- Law enforcement confirms convicted fraudster behind anti-Muslim movie (EndtheLie.com)
- The Coptic Christian in California behind the anti-Islamic film (csmonitor.com)
- Anti-islamic film search leads to coptic Christian in California (guardian.co.uk)