I have a headache…
At a recent town hall, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) explained his concern over discovering that Iowa State University has multicultural groups. King characterized minority students as people “who feel sorry for themselves,” and worried about impressionable students being “brought into a group that have a grievance against society.” King said:
I went to the Iowa State website and [...] I typed in “multicultural” and it came back to me, at the time, 59 different multicultural groups listed to operate on campus at Iowa State. It started with Asians and it ended with Zeitgeist, so from A to Z, and most of them were victims’ groups, victimology, people that feel sorry for themselves and they’re out there recruiting our young people to be part of the group that feels sorry for themselves. [...]
And then, you’re brought into a group of people that are–have a grievance against society rather than understand there’s a tremendous blessing in this society.
Watch the video from CREDO Action:
King has a long history of controversial remarks. The Iowa congressman has compared immigrants to dogs, sponsored legislation that designates English as the national language, and wanted to sue the government to deport children. Yesterday, he came to Rep Todd Akin’s (R-MO) defense over his “legitimate rape” comments.
- Steve King: Multicultural Groups Are ‘People That Feel Sorry For Themselves’ (thinkprogress.org)
- You minorities need to stop feeling so damned sorry for yourselves! (freethoughtblogs.com)
- Rep. Steve King opines on minorities and their ‘victims groups’ (dailykos.com)
- Rep. Steve King: I’ve Never Heard Of A Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- The Coming 4 Years of a ‘Conservative’ vision for America – ‘Steve King: Multicultural Groups Are ‘People That Feel Sorry For Themselves’ (thelastofthemillenniums.wordpress.com)
- Rep. Steve King Claims He Hasn’t Heard Of A Girl Getting Pregnant From Statutory Rape Or Incest (mediaite.com)