It was during the politically sanctioned “law and order” phase of our government when Nixon, Reagan, and Bush (1) touted the “war on crime” mantra that many cops were never charged for incidents such as this one even after internal investigations.
Most officers that did go before a grand jury or judge obtained acquittals of any wrong doing when a minority suspect turned up dead while on their way to jail or in jail….
A young African-American man in Jonesboro, AR died of a gunshot wound to the head while handcuffed in the back of a patrol car.
Chavis Carter was arrested for alleged drug possession and for missing a court date on previous drug charges.
Sergeant Lyle Waterworth of the Jonesboro police department, stated that Carter was “handcuffed, double locked and searched” for weapons. Still, the officer claims, Carter managed to shoot himself in the head after a “thump” was heard from the back of the squad car.
Carter’s mother, Teresa, isn’t buying the story. First, she claimed that her son was searched twice. She said that he was left-handed, but was shot in the right temple. She also said that he had called his girlfriend after he got pulled over and told her he’d call her from jail. She believes her son was killed.
The incident is under investigation. The officer is on leave.
- Police Say Man Searched Twice & Handcuffed With Arms Behind Back Shot Himself In Head In Back Of Police Car (informationliberation.com)
- How Did 21-Year-Old Chavis Carter Get Shot In The Head While Handcuffed In A Police Car? (thinkprogress.org)
- Handcuffed man found shot in back of police car (wtvr.com)
- Arkansas police claim man shot himself in head despite handcuffs (rawstory.com)
- Man shoots himself after arrest, Ark. police say (sfgate.com)