I just ran across this website. It lists over 28 weeks of Romney lies. I’ll be covering them from this point forward…
1. In an interview with Fox Business Network’s Neil Cavuto, Romney, said of his tax returns “We have of course released all of the financial statements that are required by law and then released two years of tax returns.”
In reality, he has only released his tax returns for one full year.
2. Also on Fox Business, Romney said his tax disclosures included “the same information” John Kerry released during his 2004 campaign.
In reality, that is completely false. During his presidential run eight years ago, Kerry released five years of tax returns, and during his Senate campaigns, made a habit of releasing several years worth of tax documents as part of his commitment to disclosure.
3. In response to a question about the tax code, Romney argued, “For me … this campaign is about the middle class, and about the poor. It’s not about the rich. The rich are going to do fine, whoever is elected.”
First, Romney intends to give the wealthy a massive tax cut on top of their existing massive tax cut AND what about Romney’s now infamous quote of February that he’s “not concerned about the very poor.”
4. At a fundraiser in Montana, Romney told supporters, “The great majority of small business — 54% of American workers work in businesses taxed as individuals. So when the president wants to raise taxes on individuals as he’s proposed from 35% to 40%, he kills jobs. If your priority is crushing people, vote for him.”
Only about 3% of American small businesses would be affected by the higher rate, and there is no evidence to suggest Clinton-era top rates on the wealthy “kills jobs”.
5. In response to a reporter’s question about health care, Romney said, “You know, I’ve spoken about health care from the day we passed it in — in Massachusetts and people said, is this something that you’d apply at the federal level? And I said no.”
There are entirely too many news videos and articles out there demonstrating the opposite to hope to list them all.
6. At a town-hall meeting in Grand Junction, Colorado, Romney claimed Obama is “putting money into energy companies, solar and wind energy companies that end up making their products outside the United States.”
This is completely false.
7. Romney also claimed, “This president has increased the rate of new major regulations by about threefold over his predecessor.”
In reality, Obama approved fewer regulations in his first three years in office than Bush did in his first three years.
8. Romney went on to say he’s “going to get rid of ObamaCare” so the government won’t have to borrow more money.
According to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, the Affordable Care Act will save over $100 billion over the next decade, and over $1 trillion in the decade after that. So, Romney has it completely backwards as in reality – we would need to borrow more money if he does “get rid of Obamacare.”
9. He added that “dreams are being crushed when taxes go up and up and up on job creators.”
Taxes haven’t gone up; they’ve gone down. In fact, Americans’ federal tax burden has down and down and down, reaching a 30-year low after Obama cut taxes in 2009.
10. He also said “no, no, no” to the notion that he would “cut” Medicare.
Romney endorsed Paul Ryan’s House Republican Budget plan, which ends the Medicare program and replaces it with a private voucher scheme.
SPECIAL ONGOING BONUS LIE: I did not have anything to do with Bain Capital after February 1999.
The only question now is whether he lied to the American people or to the American government through felonious SEC filings, etc. …more to come out this week……
For the complete list of lies this week see the Rachel Maddow Show’s ongoing series: Chronicling Mitt’s Mendacity.
- Chronicling Mitt’s Mendacity, Vol. XXV (maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com)
- Mitt Romney Continues to Follow in the Proud Footsteps of John Kerry, Except Not Really (slog.thestranger.com)
- Mitt Romney’s Candidacy is Turning into The Republican Party’s Worst Nightmare (politicususa.com)
- Obama Refuses to Apologize to Romney (nytimes.com)
- Dem aide on Bain: If Romney wasn’t in charge, who was? (cbsnews.com)