Usually the GOP party stays in lockstep with the leadership of the party. Will this one rogue GOP Governor start a domino affect? We’ll see…
In a series of interviews yesterday, Mitt Romney maintained he would only release tax returns dating back two years. Romney told CNN, “that’s all that’s necessary for people to understand something about my finances.”
Robert Bently, the Republican Governor of Alabama, isn’t satisfied. The AP has the story:
Pressure was building on Romney from within his own party to be more forthcoming with his finances, a day after he declared he would not release past income tax returns beyond his 2010 tax records and, before the November election, his 2011 taxes.
On the sidelines of the National Governors Association meeting in Williamsburg, Alabama’s Republican governor, Robert Bentley, called on Romney to release all the documents requested of him.
“If you have things to hide, then maybe you’re doing things wrong,” Bentley said. “I think you ought to be willing to release everything to the American people.“
Ana Navarro, a prominent Republican strategist, has also called on Romney to release more tax returns, telling Politico “I wish he’d hurry up and release more tax returns so this distraction would go away.”
Romney’s father, George Romney, released 12 years of tax returns when he ran for President in the 1960s. Romney provided John McCain with 23 years of tax returns when he was being considered for the Vice Presidential nomination in 2008.
- Romney says he’ll only release 2 tax returns (newsday.com)
- Mitt Romney Says He’s Unlikely To Release More Than Two Tax Returns (lindaluke.newsvine.com)
- Romney says he’ll only release 2 tax returns (newsobserver.com)
- MITT ROMNEY: I’m NOT Releasing Any More Tax Returns (investmentwatchblog.com)
- New Obama ad: ‘Mitt Romney is not the solution, he’s the problem’ (thegrio.com)