Gov. Rick Scott of Florida is trying to purge state voter rolls just before a key election. The purge targets 180,000 Floridians—87% of which are people of color. It gives them 30 days to prove their citizenship and if they fail to do so within this time frame, they will not be eligible to vote. If this plan succeeds, thousands of voters will be disenfranchised and will have a serious, negative impact on the election. Keep in mind that Bush “won” Florida by a slim margin of 537 votes in 2000.
Former Secretary of State Kurt Browning worked with Scott on the purge. Just before Scott selected Browning as Secretary in 2011, Browning led a group, Protect Your Vote Inc., which was created to oppose fair redistricting. One of the biggest checks that Browning’s organization received for$100,000 in 2010 was from the Center To Protect Patients’ Rights. At the time of the donation, the source of the money was cloaked in secrecy.
- Florida voter purge official linked to Koch-funded efforts to defeat Obama (dailykos.com)
- Official Behind Gov. Rick Scott’s Voter Purge Linked To Koch brothers campaign to defeat Obama (freakoutnation.com)
- Florida Defies DOJ Call to Halt Voter Purge (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- Liberals start bashing Rick Scott’s response to DOJ’s voter-purge demand (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- ACLU and others sue to block Fla. voter purge (miamiherald.com)