“The times, they are a changing…” Bob Dylan – 1964
The board of the NAACP, the “nation’s oldest and largest civil rights organization,” endorsed marriage equality at a meeting this afternoon. The move comes 10 days after President Obamaannounced his support of same-sex marriage.
The NAACP’s move comes as attitudes about gays and lesbians in the African American community are changing rapidly. A recent poll found that 54% of African Americans supported President Obama’s recent decision.
Maxim Thorne, formerly of the NAACP, broke the news over Twitter:
The NAACP Board of Directors has just endorsed marriage equality unequivocally. Only two opposed! An historic moment.
Since Obama’s announcement, numerous influential political figures — including Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and House Assistant Minority Leader James Clyburn — have joined him in supporting marriage equality.
The NAACP confirms their decision with the New York Times: “We have and will oppose efforts to codify discrimination into law.”
- NAACP Endorses Gay Marriage (queerlandia.com)
- NAACP endorses gay marriage (forthesakeofscience.com)
- NAACP Endorses Marriage Equality [Marriage Equality] (gawker.com)
- NAACP Endorses Gay Marriage (huffingtonpost.com)
- NAACP Endorses Gay Marriage (UPDATE) (jhaines6.wordpress.com)