Despite being against marriage equality in 2008, everyone’s favorite Veep now says: “I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women and heterosexual men marrying women are entitled to the same exact rights.” Where you at, President Obama?!
- Biden Supports Marriage Equality- Sort Of (lezgetreal.com)
- Biden OK with equal rights for married gay couples (kansascity.com)
- Vice President Joe Biden says he’s ‘comfortable’ with gay marriage rights, but can’t promise endorsement of Obama (boston.com)
- “I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and…” (shortformblog.com)
- Joe Biden Appears To Endorse Gay Marriage (buzzfeed.com)
- Joe Biden is “I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women and heterosexual men marrying women are entitled to the same exact rights.” (althouse.blogspot.com)
Integrity is the lifeblood of democracy. Deceit is a poison in its veins. ~ Edward M. Kennedy
A secretive right-wing group, Veterans For A Strong America, is attempting to do to President Obama what the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth did to Sen. John Kerry. And they aren’t shy about it. The group’s leader and sole employee, Joel Arends, told Mother Jones, “Yes, it’s the swift boating of the president.”
Arends said his goal is to take “what’s percieved to be [Obama’s] greatest strength” — the successful raid on Osama Bin Laden’s Pakistani compound — and make it “his greatest weekend.” The effort started this week with a web video attacking Obama for taking too much credit.
In an interview with ThinkProgress, Arends refused to discuss any information regarding how the group was financed or its leadership. Arends also declined to provide legal forms he claims to have filed with the IRS. A representative from the IRS told ThinkProgress that the agency does not have any forms from Arends’ group on file.
Here’s what we do know about Arends and Veterans For A Strong America:
1. In four days, the first ad by Veterans For A Strong America garnered almost 1 million view on Youtube. It has also been played frequently on TV News. [YouTube, 5/1/12]
2. Veterans For A Strong America is seeking to recruit Navy SEALS to attack Obama. “In the wake of a warm conservative reception for a web video trashing the president for ‘spiking the football’ on the anniversary of Osama Bin Laden’s death, the conservative group Veterans for a Strong America plans to gather Navy SEALs and Special Forces operators to criticize the White House during the 2012 campaign.” [BuzzFeed, 5/3/12]
3. Arends also tried to Swift Boat Obama in 2008. Arends, under the auspices of a similar group called “Vets for Freedom,” ran an ad accusing Obama of refusing to meet with wounded soldiers from Illinois. [NPR, 7/5/08]
4. Arends worked as a consultant for the Koch Brothers’ Americans for Properity. “Though he doesn’t list it on his public resume, around 2006 Arends went to work for Craig Dewey, the state director of Americans for Prosperity, an advocacy outfit that’s Astroturfed everything from the tea party and the Wisconsin union fight to public-school segregation.” The Koch Brothers and their allies have pledged to spend $100 million to defeat Obama. [Mother Jones, 5/4/12; HuffingtonPost, 2/3/12]
5. In 2008, Arends — posing as a “journalist” — organized and participated in a taxpayer subsidized propaganda trip to Iraq. “American taxpayers are paying for politically slanted, pro-McCain, anti-Obama ‘reporters’ embedded with U.S. troops in Iraq. Vets for Freedom – a pro-war organization that buys attack ads against Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama – assembled a team of eight military veterans with dubious journalistic credentials to report ‘objectively’ on what is occurring in Iraq…Joel Arends, another “reporter,” is VFF’s executive director and was on McCain’s campaign payroll between March 2007 and February 2008.” [Charleston Gazette, 8/28/08]
6. Arends is coordinating with key Islamophobic figures on the far-right. He regularly appears at events with anti-Islam conspiracy theorist Frank Gaffney, who has been condemned by mainstream conservatives for his intolerant views. He is also alligned with William “Jerry” Boykin, who was found to have violated Pentagon rules by expressing his anti-Muslim views in an official capacity. [ThinkProgress, 2/12/12; For The Common Defense; New York Times,3/4/05]
7. Arends helped promote a documentary advocating war with Iran. Arends appeared on a panel in South Dakoa promoting the documentary Iranium, which strongly suggests beginning a war with Iran, in March 2011. [Flier; ThinkProgress, 11/3/11]
8. Veterans for A Strong American is fully endorsed by Karl Rove. The man known as “Bush’s Brain” tweeted his support of their first web ad. [Twitter,5/3/12]
Veterans For A Strong America is already succeeding in influencing the political discussion. It’s web ad was aired nationally, for free, on ABC’s This Week. Many members of the political round-table then echoed Arends talking points on Obama and Bin Laden.
- Meet the Astroturfer Planning to Swift Boat Obama (motherjones.com)
- Swift boating jumps the shark (dailykos.com)
- Republicans Swift Boat President Obama — Are We Surprised? (crooksandliars.com)
- Veterans Group Promises More Anti-Obama Ads (usnews.com)
- Will Navy SEALs swift-boat Obama over the bin Laden raid? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Veterans Group Releases Ad Criticizing Obama for Taking Credit for Bin Laden Raid (foxnewsinsider.com)
This is typical of GOP deception. If it doesn’t fit the narrative, quash it, deny it or ignore it.
If you’re a state hellbent on turning corrections over to the for-profit prison industry, what do you do when an annual survey shows that private jails are often more expensive than the old fashioned public variety? Especially if, by law, the state may contract for private prisons only if they prove to be less expensive? Simple, just eliminate that pesky study.
Buried in the $8.6 billion budget proposal passed at the state Capitol this week is a plan to “eliminate the requirement for a quality and cost review of private prison contracts.” It means there would no longer be an annual review of how private prisons operate.CBS5.com
The corrections industry in Arizona is enjoying a good ride. They’ve been held harmless in the last two state budgets, while education, healthcare, and every other public service has been cut off at the knees. Along with its budget, the corrections cartel’s political power has increased. Tucson Citizen’s Cell-Out AZ has lotsa dirt, like raiding mortgage settlement funds for prisons. The industry’s biggest legislative win, of course, was SB 1070, which the Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) helped craft and pass, alongside ALEC. It’s not like the incarceration industry has a financial interest or anything, since SB 1070, if implemented as written, would provide them a heckuva lot more customers.
One might ask why the legislature ended an annual review of private prisons, less than two years after three inmates escaped from the Kingman facility run by Management & Training Corporation (MTC). A nationwide manhunt ended in their capture, but not before the men, two of whom were convicted killers, hijacked an Oklahoma couple’s car and trailer in New Mexico, shot them at a rest stop and burned their bodies in the trailer. Immediately after this tragedy, there were loud calls to clean up the crappy security at Kingman — and all prisons statewide. This Arizona Republic story, titled “Arizona Prison Oversight Lacking for Private Facilities,” was typical:
[The three convicts] took advantage of lax security and faulty alarms to escape on July 30, 2010, from the Kingman prison, run by Management and Training Corp. of Centerville, Utah. The men cut their way out using tools McCluskey’s cousin and fiancee, Casslyn Welch, had tossed over the fence. Arizona Republic
- Private Prisons, Perhaps Not So Efficient (osgapusgov.wordpress.com)
- Methodists in Tampa rally against private prison industry (rawstory.com)
- Opposing Increase Privatization of Prisons (bludanemac.wordpress.com)
- AZ: Arizona private prisons slammed by report (azcentral.com)
- US For-Profit Prisons – U.S. Judges Admit to Jailing Children for Money (12160.info)
- BRIEFING: For-Profit Prisons (businessinsider.com)
- Report faults private prison company (radionz.co.nz)
A campaign ad supported with actual facts that talks to Americans like they’re adults? What universe is this from?
The Brothers Koch recently launched a $6.1 million attack ad against the Obama administration which quickly received a “Pants on Fire” rating from PolitiFact. Here’s how the Obama administration responded.
- PolitiFact: Fact-checking TV ad attacking Obama on energy (tampabay.com)
- Trump: GOP’s Obama ad ‘worst’ ever (politico.com)
- New Obama campaign ad attacks Mitt Romney for outsourcing American jobs (boston.com)
- Watch This RNC Attack Ad Completely Backfire And Make Romney Look Incredibly Boring And A Little Sad (businessinsider.com)