The really sad thing is that although he got an early discharge from the military for his tortuous acts against an Iraqi prisoner, I believe he was (s)elected by Tea Partiers because of that act.
It turns out calling Democratic lawmakers “Communists” has some consequences.
Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) was supposed to be the keynote speaker at a fundraiser for his district chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) this past Saturday. But days before the event, the group canceled the gathering and asked West not to come back when they rescheduled. Why?
“There’s a certain statement he made about Communists,” Jerry Gore, president of the Martin County NAACP, told Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers. “That statement alone … we do not represent that type of atmosphere.”
The NAACP chapter is rescheduling its banquet for Sept. 15, with a new keynote speaker. Gore told Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers that a spokesman for West said he “understood” why the organization didn’t want West to speak anymore.
West landed in hot water earlier this month after telling constituents at a town hall meeting that some 80 House Democrats “are members of the Communist Party. It’s called the Congressional Progressive Caucus.” His remarks sparked outrage among Democrats – Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said “not even Joe McCarthy would have said anything so stupid” — but West later said he had no regrets about the ordeal.
- Eve Samples: Communist claims prompt NAACP to stand up Allen West (tcpalm.com)
- Apparently Alot Of People Forgot Who Communists Are (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- CNN’s Soledad O’Brien asks Rep. Allen West to name Dem. reps that are Communists (cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com)
- Allen West vs. Soledad O’Brien on Communists in Congress – YouTube (therightofthepeople.wordpress.com)
- Newspaper: Allen West should hold tongue (wnd.com)
- Raw Story’s Megan Carpentier on Rep. West ‘communists in Congress’ remark (rawstory.com)