Sean Hannity brought Sarah Palin on his Fox News show yesterday to continue his discussion from the night before over the biggest non-story of the week— a video of President Obama from his days at Harvard Law School.
But during their discussion, Palin opened up a new front in her attack of President Obama, apparently suggesting America’s first black president wants to return to the days “before the Civil War”:
Now, it has taken all these years for many Americans to understand that that gravity, that mistake, took place before the Civil War and why the Civil War had to really start changing America. What Barack Obama seems to want to do is go back to before those days when we were in different classes based on income, based on color of skin.
The “different classes” system Palin seems to be referring to is perhaps better known as slavery.
The entire conversation is based on the mischaracterization of Derrick Bell, a pioneer in legal scholarly work. Bell was the first tenured black professor at Harvard Law School, and the video that Hannity insists is a scandal shows Barack Obama, then a student, speaking at a rally in support of Professor Bell. Students and faculty were protesting to urge Harvard to hire more minority faculty.
Of course, Palin has struggled with history before.
- Palin Says Obama Wants To Return To Racial Discrimination ‘That Took Place Before The Civil War’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Palin: Obama Wants to Return to the ‘Days Before the Civil War’ When People Were Not Considered Equal (crooksandliars.com)
- This Might Be The Stupidest Thing Sarah Palin Has Said (And That’s Saying Something!) (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Sarah Palin Says Barack Obama Wants to Take Us Back to the “Days Before the Civil War” (slog.thestranger.com)
- Palin To Hannity: Obama Isn’t ‘Man Of Valor,’ No Surprise He’d Take Maher’s ‘Dirty Money’ (mediaite.com)