There is a new attack on President Obama’s citizenship and education being circulated via email among conservatives. The email includes an image of a Columbia University identification card for a foreign student named Barry Soetoro. The card includes the photo of Barack Obama.
The email’s author states:
“Could this be the reason his ‘classmates’ don’t remember him, or why his records can’t be found? Perhaps he was not even ‘Barack Obama’ at the time!”
First of all — many of his former classmates, as well as professors, remember Barack Obama while he attended Columbia University.
Secondly — Of course there are records of Obama’s time at Columbia. That’s just absurd.
Thirdly — The perpetrator of this latest attack isn’t very talented when it comes to faking an identification. The one included in the email is a fake and here’s why…
- The fake Columbia ID above is not even the design or format used on student IDs during the time Barack Obama was a student at Columbia from 1981-83.
- The digital ID card format show on the fake idea wasn’t even used at Columbia until 1996.
The fake ID is simply an altered version of a card issued to another student at Columbia in 1998 (as shown below):
[Source: Snopes.com ]
- New Book Envisions Oval Office Meeting Between Abraham Lincoln and Barack Obama (prweb.com)
- Barack Obama, Catholics and contraceptives: The accommodation | The Economist (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Too Cute: Barack Obama Coaches Sasha’s Basketball Team (clutchmagonline.com)
- The Obama Scandal You Haven’t Heard About Yet (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Rumors (maxredline.typepad.com)