Have you ever known Newt Gingrich to identify a flaw or fault with a politician, the President, the Democratic Party (etc), that he didn’t turn into the gravest, most evil transgression that humanity have ever been subjected too? When it comes to making proverbial mountains at of molehill, employing hyperbolic rhetoric to embarrass and humiliate his enemies, the-Newt, is king of the demagogues.
So if this story happened to Mitt Romney, Barack Obama or any other political enemy of the former House Speaker, how do you think he might handle it?
The BRAD BLOG is reporting that Virginia State officials have confirmed that a criminal investigation of the Gingrich for President Campaign is now underway in what investigators are describing as, massive “voter fraud.”
You may recall, that the Gingrich campaign failed to turn in enough signatures on petitions this past December, to qualify the candidate to appear on that state’s upcoming Republican primary ballot. In fact, by Gingrich’s own admission, his campaign turned in 11,100 signatures when only 10,000 were needed. The problem? 1500 of those signatures were quickly identified as fraudulent.
Of course Newt wants us to believe that this was “just a mistake” made by person his campaign had hired to collect signatures. Who was this one person who made the mistake? The campaign won’t say. Why not? Wouldn’t it be easier to scape-goat a lazy, minimum wage signature collector that let the entire campaign get black eye?
The Virginia State Attorney General’s office doesn’t view voter fraud on this scale as being “just a mistake.” In fact, an official in the Virginia State Board of Elections (SBE) described it as, “definitely an illegal act.”
Brian J. Gottestein, Director of Communication for the Office of the Attorney General confirmed to The BRAD BLOG that there is “an investigation underway.” Other than stating that fact, Gottestein refused to comment further and declined to indicate how much cooperation the AG’s office is getting from Gingrich’s Virginia campaign organization.
Only Mitt Romney and Ron Paul campaigns turned in enough signatures to be on the ballot. Surprisingly, Rick Santorum’s campaign also failed to collect enough signatures to insure that his name would be on the ballot in the southern, socially conservative state.
In the last presidential election, the grass-roots progressive organization ACORN , was put out of business when it was determined that some of the people they had hired to do voter registration, had turned in fraudulent forms.
At the time, The BRAD BLOG points out, Newt Gingrich wrote in an op-ed column that “ACORN has a long history of engaging in voter fraud.”
Really? Based on that logic, can we assume from the Virginia incident that this was not the first time the Gingrich campaign has engaged in illegal acts and voter fraud?
It will be interesting to see how the conservative media handles this scandal in light of the incessant coverage given to the “mistake” ACORN made.
- ACORN-Holed: Chris Hayes Calls Out Newt Gingrich’s Voter Fraud Hypocrisy (mediaite.com)
- EXCLUSIVE: Virginia Officials Confirm Criminal Election Fraud Investigation of Gingrich Campaign (bradblog.com)
- Gingrich: While ACORN Committed Massive ‘Voter Fraud’, My Massive ‘Voter Fraud’ ‘Just a Mistake’ (bradblog.com)
- Brad on Hartmann TV: On VA’s Investigation of 1,500 Fraudulent Signatures from Gingrich Campaign (bradblog.com)
- Virginia AG investigating fraudulent Gingrich signatures A… (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- Indiana’s Gop Secretary of State Guilty of Three Counts of Felony Voter Fraud (bradblog.com)
- Chris Hayes Equates Gingrich Worker Committing Voter Fraud With 70 ACORN Convictions For It (newsbusters.org)
- James O’Keefe’s ‘Fake Tim Tebow’ Voter Fraud ‘Investigation’ Doesn’t Have A Prayer (mediaite.com)