Recently there was a proposal to drug test State Legislators, sounds like a great idea!
A Georgia Republican who co-sponsored legislation that would require random drug testing of welfare recipients was arrested on early Friday morning and charged with DUI, according toChannel 2 Action News.
Rep. Kip Smith was pulled over after a police officer witnessed him run through a red light. The officer said he could smell the odor of alcohol coming from Smith’s car and had the lawmaker take a breathalyzer test, which he failed.
Smith has co-sponsored legislation in the Georgia General Assembly that would require random drug testing for recipients of certain public assistance.
In response to the bill, Democratic Georgia state Rep. Scott Holcomb has introduced legislation that would require lawmakers to pass a drug test before taking office.
“This bill is really very simple,” Holcomb said in December. “If the General Assembly is going to pass laws requiring struggling, jobless Georgians to pay for drug tests as a precondition to receiving state benefits, then members of the General Assembly should lead by example and take the tests first.”
- Strictest Rules Yet Proposed For Unemployment Benefits (huffingtonpost.com)
- State Rep Who Backed Drug Testing For Welfare Recipients Arrested For DUI (huffingtonpost.com)
- Republican Sponsor Of Bill To Require Drug Testing For Georgia Welfare Recipients Arrested For DUI (thinkprogress.org)
- More Political Dirtbaggery (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- New Law Would Require Lawmakers To Be Drug Tested (929dave.radio.com)