Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Amendment 1 – Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression
It’s simply a strawman argument against Muslims freely practicing their religion in the United States under the guarantees of The Constitution, by those who want to discriminate against them.
The 10th Circuit Court Of Appeals struck down Oklahoma’s ban on Sharia law today, declaring that the Sooner State’s move violated the United States Constitution.
In November 2010, Oklahoma voters approved a ballot initiative to prevent Sharia law from being used in the state, something that even the measure’s defenders could not identify ever happening. (To learn more about what Sharia law actually is, read this brief primer.) Following Oklahoma’s lead, Sharia hysteria soon made its way to other states – including Arizona, Louisiana, and Tennessee – orchestrated by a small group of anti-Muslims misinformation experts we profiled in a report entitled Fear Inc.: The Roots of the Islamophobia Network in America.
Before the Oklahoma law could take effect, however, a federal judge issued an injunction blocking the measure while courts considered its constitutionality. The 10th Circuit, which includes one George W. Bush appointee, a Carter appointee, and an Obama appointee, heard oral arguments in September 2011.
Today, the 10th Circuit unanimously affirmed the lower court’s permanent injunction. In a 37-page decision, the three-judge panel agreed that Oklahoma’s Sharia ban violated the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause and was therefore unconstitutional. On page 32, the 10th Circuit identified the heart of the matter, that Oklahoma’s move had no basis in reality but simply singled out Muslims for discrimination.
- Court dumps Oklahoma’s ban on Sharia law (seattlepi.com)
- 10th Circuit Court shoots down Oklahoma anti-Sharia law as unconstitutional (dailykos.com)
- New blow dealt to Oklahoma’s anti-Sharia effort (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Appeals court upholds injunction on Oklahoma Sharia law measure (newsok.com)
- Appeals court affirms order blocking Oklahoma sharia law ban – Los Angeles Times (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Sharia Ban Unconstitutional (atheistrev.com)
- Federal Appeals Court Blocks Implementation Of Oklahoma Sharia Law Ban (outsidethebeltway.com)