Given the recent data showing Fox News viewers are less informed than viewers who watch other news networks, it’s safe to say that David Frum is correct in his analysis that Fox News creates an alternative knowledge system…
Conservative columnist David Frum, who was speechwriter for former President George W. Bush, blasted Fox News on Sunday for creating an “alternative knowledge system.”
In an article published by New York Magazine in late November, Frum had argued that conservative media like Fox News and talk radio “immerse their audience in a total environment of pseudo-facts and pretend information.”
In an appearance on CNN Sunday, Frum cited claims made on Fox News that President Barack Obama was proposing a “new Christmas tree tax,” something that was found by both The Florida Times-Union and PolitiFact Oregon to be not true.
“It fed into a story about this Muslim-y kind of president trying to destroy a Christian holiday,” Frum explained to CNN’s Howard Kurtz. “To make this a ground for a cultural conflict, to create a sense in large numbers of people they are being persecuted and attacked at a time when the country is in so much trouble, that’s how this thing is fed.”
“The question is what is the impact on the viewer?” he continued. “And we know, for example, that people that watch a lot of Fox come away knowing a lot less about important world events. That’s a correlation that we know.”
Recent polling appears to back up Frum’s assertion.
Fairleigh Dickinson University found last month that “some outlets, especially Fox News, lead people to be even less informed than those who say they don’t watch any news at all.”
“For example, people who watch Fox News, the most popular of the 24-hour cable news networks, are 18-points less likely to know that Egyptians overthrew their government than those who watch no news at all (after controlling for other news sources, partisanship, education and other demographic factors),” they wrote. “Fox News watchers are also 6-points less likely to know that Syrians have not yet overthrown their government than those who watch no news.”
Watch this video from CNN’s Reliable Sources, broadcast Dec. 11, 2011.
- But it’s entertaining, and that’s what matters here (maureenholland.wordpress.com)
- David Frum On CNN Warns Republicans Not To Let Right-Wing Media Sensationalism Influence Them (mediaite.com)
- David Frum: Fox News Blacklisted Me (huffingtonpost.com)
- David Frum: A Republican of Sense (zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com)
- News – One way to know more than Fox News Viewer? Watch NOTHING! (thesecularity.com)
- Fox News Viewers Know Less Than People Who Don’t Watch Any News: Study (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Sunday Morning Bobblehead Thread (crooksandliars.com)
- 7 Things Fox Viewers Are Wildly Misinformed About (kaystreet.wordpress.com)