If you’re looking for bad news on this Black Friday, you’re probably Googling “Walmart.” The massive discount retailer has been the scene of injuries, arrests, pepper-spraying and general pandemonium at locations across the country today.
Asked about the stories of fights over sale items and arrests, Walmart touted its pre-planning for the biggest shopping day of the year, though acknowledged the chain is “always learning” about how to deal with the crowds that pack its stores.
“I would just tell you that the plans we have in place were developed with nationally recognized crowd experts and really were the first of their kind,” company spokesperson Greg Rossiter told TPM Friday. “Having said that, we always look at the way we run our stores.”
Those plans Walmart used this year were drawn up following much darker incidents than the ones that have marred the day at some locations of the massive retailer. In 2008, a store employee was trampled to death as a crowd surged into a New York Walmart to snatch up deeply discounted merchandise in the ritual that kicks off the holiday shopping season. A lawyer for the family of the dead man chided Walmart for not providing the employee with crowd control experience.
- Black Friday arrests, injuries irk shoppers at Walmart (usatoday.com)
- Violence, Pepper Spray Mars Black Friday Shopping (sanfrancisco.ibtimes.com)
- Violence, pepper spray mars US Black Friday shopping – Reuters (reuters.com)
- Sharp elbows: Shoppers scuffle on Black Friday (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Walmart Security – Local Police Have Open Season On Walmart Shoppers! (pobeptsworld.wordpress.com)