A story in today’s New York Times offers a disturbing look at the smear tactics and threats the Cain campaign is using to intimidate the four women accusing the candidate of sexual harassment, and any women that might come forward in the future:
L. Lin Wood, the lawyer hired by the Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain to fend off sexual harassment accusations, has warned that any other women who might be considering coming forward with similar allegations “should think twice.”
On Wednesday morning, less than 24 hours after Karen Kraushaar identified herself as one of two women who had received monetary settlements relating to harassment allegations against Mr. Cain while working for the National Restaurant Association in the late 1990s, Ms. Kraushaar faced questions about a workplace complaint she filed at a subsequent job… Hours later, Rush Limbaugh seized on that report to argue that Ms. Kraushaar has “a pattern of whining.” […]
[S]he and the others confronted the challenges of taking on a presidential candidate: intensive scrutiny of their backgrounds and motives, encouraged and amplified in this case by conservative news outlets and commentators whose support for Mr. Cain as he battles the allegations has helped him weather the crisis so far.
Cain and his defenders aren’t bothering to conceal their intention to silence would-be accusers with bullying. The campaign has hired investigators to dig up dirt on the women. Many respected media outlets are becoming willing accomplices in the diversion of questioning the alleged victims rather than investigating Cain’s conduct.
- Mark Block, Cain’s Chief-Of-Staff, Falsely ‘Confirms’ Accuser’s Son Works For POLITICO (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Karen Kraushaar now wants to go public with other women with allegations against Herman Cain (curmilus.wordpress.com)
- Karen Kraushaar Becomes Second Herman Cain Accuser to Go Public (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- First on CNN: Kraushaar won’t do news conference without other accusers (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Cain accuser rethinking joint press conference (cbsnews.com)
- Herman Cain defence ‘goofy’, says sexual harassment lawyer (guardian.co.uk)
- Karen Kraushaar, 2nd Accuser, Calls Cain ‘Serial Denier’ (blippitt.com)
- Second Cain accuser goes public (thehill.com)
- Herman Cain Accuser Karen Kraushaar Wants Other Women To Come Forward (inquisitr.com)
Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann was interrupted by Occupy Wall Street protesters while speaking on foreign policy during a stop in South Carolina on Thursday.
Mount Pleasant Patch reports that Bachmann was in the middle of her remarks when the incident occurred. The conservative congresswoman was escorted off stage amid the disturbance, which was caused by demonstrators in the audience.
Mount Pleasant Patch relays part of a prepared statement read by the protesters:
“This will only take a minute. We have a message for Mrs. Bachmann. You capitalize on dividing Americans. Claiming people that disagree with you are unpatriotic socialists. And you promote discrimination. This does not help the American People.”
After the interruption, Bachmann returned to the stage. She quipped, “Don’t you love the First Amendment?”
- Protestors Run Michele Bachmann Off Stage (perezhilton.com)
- Protesters Occupy Michele Bachmann today in Charleston, South Carolina (dangerousminds.net)
- ‘Occupy Charleston’ Protesters Infiltrate Michele Bachmann Event: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Michele Bachmann Faces Off Against Occupy Charleston’s Human Microphone (mediaite.com)
- Protesters Rock Bachmann Event (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Occupy Movement Strikes Again! – Michelle Bachmann Walks Out On Town Hall Meeting Because Of #OWS Protesters (reclaimamericafromthelunaticfringe.wordpress.com)
- South Carolina Occupy Protesters Interrupt Michele Bachmann Speech (usnews.com)
- Bachmann, Occupied (slog.thestranger.com)
- Occupy Groups Go After Candidates And Politicians (lezgetreal.com)