Seen on the internet:
Daily Archives: November 3, 2011
Herman Cain’s wife, Gloria, will not be appearing on the Fox News Channel on Friday night after all, a person close to the talks told the Caucus.
Ms. Cain had indicated to the network earlier in the week that she would appear on “On the Record With Greta Van Susteren” on Friday night, but apparently had a change of heart. The person familiar with the talks, who requested anonymity to discuss private conversations, said that Ms. Cain did not entirely close the door on appearing on the network some time in the future.
Her decision comes as her husband continues to face questions about accusations of sexual harassment while chief executive of the National Restaurant Association.
- Politico Reports Herman Cain Accuser Was Paid $45,000 By National Restaurant Association (mediaite.com)
- Herman Cain Recreates The ‘Non-Sexual Gesture’ That Got Him In Trouble For Greta Van Susteren (mediaite.com)
- Herman Cain Accused of Sexual Harassment by Rick Perry’s Campaign (socyberty.com)
- Third Woman & Two Witnesses Accuse Herman Cain Of Sexual Harassment [Politics] (jezebel.com)
- Herman Cain Explains Gesture That Led to Sexual Harassment Accusation (nicedeb.wordpress.com)
- Herman Cain blames Perry campaign for sexual harassment allegations (dailykos.com)
- Herman Cain Bungles Scandal Management 101 (usnews.com)
- A Third Ex-Employee Accuses Herman Cain Of Sexual Harassment! (perezhilton.com)
- Gloria Cain Stands By Her Man (thedailybeast.com)
If I recall correctly, back in 2008, didn’t the right wing claim that then Senator Barack Obama was too inexperienced to become President? Yet, they coddle Herman Cain, as if he were their mascot, saying they will teach him. Go figure…
Is this the kind of help Herman Cain is looking for this week?
Cain has now picked up a top endorsement from the right-wing blogosphere: Pamela Geller, the anti-Islam campaigner and Birther.
Geller posted an entry on her blog Wednesday evening, declaring her support for Cain. In the past, Geller has criticized Cain, when he backed down from his statement that local communities should be able to ban mosques. She had also hoped that Sarah Palin would run, a dream that came to naught when Palin declared a month ago that she would not run.
But now, recent developments have put her on board. Specifically, the allegations of past sexual harassment against Cain — and the counter-accusation from Team Cain that the Rick Perry campaign was behind it — have changed her mind. Geller has long detested Perry, calling him soft on “stealth jihad” by Muslims in America.
Key quote from Geller’s new blog post, with emphasis in the original:
Perry is a snake. Watch him. He is creepy. And his drunken, freak show speech this past weekend belonged in a Roger Corman film.
I questioned his very bad judgment when I exposed his entire Islamic curriculum, dawah and proselytizing, to Texas school children. But this? Perry is a really bad guy. Only a lowlife (or a Democrat — Perry was Al Gore’s campaign manager) would eliminate a better man with innuendo and gossip. Men like Perry do not win on merit.
I endorse Herman Cain. What he doesn’t know, we’ll teach him.
Geller, author of a recent book Stop the Islamization of America: A Practical Guide to the Resistance, is perhaps best known for her campaigning against the Park51 project, a Muslim community center in downtown New York City that Geller and others have dubbed the “Ground Zero Mosque,” declaring that it is part of an international Muslim effort to subjugate America.
In addition, Geller called for a boycott of Campbell’s soup, when the company introduced a line of halal-certified products. In her denunciation of halal food, she has also made accusations that it is secretly being sold to non-Muslims: “we are being forced into consuming meat slaughtered by means of a barbaric, torturous, and inhuman method: Islamic slaughter, the cutting of the animal’s throat without stunning or any other form of mitigation for the animal’s pain.” It should be noted that this aspect of halal meat slaughter is the same as the Jewish kosher dietary rules.
She has also been waging a legal battle against the city’s transit authority, over their refusal ofher submitted subway ad calling for support of Israel: “In any war between the civilized man and the savage, support the civilized man.”
Also, some of her more creative claims have come from her contributions to the Birther conspiracy theory, alleging that President Obama is ineligible for the Oval Office. In addition to the standard claim insisting that the president’s birth certificate is “an obvious forgery,” Geller has also alleged that the marriage of the president’s parents was not legally valid — and thatpeople like Obama had different rights in 1789: “Illegitimate children had different rights — at least they certainly did in 1789. There is no way that the founders of this great nation intended for an illegitimate child of a foreign bigamist to attain the highest, most powerful position in the new land.”
- Abbreviated Pundit Roundup: The absolute, total and complete incompetence of Herman Cain’s campaign (dailykos.com)
- Herman Cain Accuses Rick Perry of Smear Campaign, Fueling Sexual Harassment Allegations (thehollywoodgossip.com)
- Fox News Has Mainstreamed Pam Geller’s Islamophobic Hate Speech (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Herman Cain book club suddenly uninteresting! | Ana Marie Cox (guardian.co.uk)
- Pamela Geller, WND: Cain, Not Able (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Dana Milbank Unmasks Herman Cain (riehlworldview.com)
- Perry adviser denies harassment talk with Cain (sfgate.com)
- Tea Party’s event on Islam booted from Sugar Land hotel (colonel6.com)
To answer the question from the post heading, not much. Cain has become a walking, talking joke.
My China strategy is quite simply outgrow China. It gets back to economics. China has a $6 trillion economy and they’re growing at approximately 10 percent. We have a $14 trillion economy — much bigger — but we’re growing at an anemic 1.5, 1.6 percent. When we get our economy growing back at the rate of 5 or 6 percent that it has the ability to do, we will outgrow China.And secondly, we already have superiority in terms of our military capability, and I plan to get away from making cutting our defense a priority and make investing in our military capability a priority, going back to my statement: peace through strength and clarity. So yes they’re a military threat.They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat.
a) If China has a $6 trillion economy (it does) and if it’s growing at a rate of 10% (it is) and if the US has a $14 trillion economy (it does) and should that US economy grow at the rate Cain hopes it does (5 – 6%), then China will surpass the US and not the other way around.
Math, as we’ve come to learn, is not one of Cain’s strong suits.
Facts, as we’ve come to learn, are not one of Cain’s strong suits.
- Cain wrongly suggests China doesn’t have nukes (cbsnews.com)
- Cain on China: “They’re trying to develop nuclear capability” (hotair.com)
- Herman Cain Needs Foreign Policy Expert (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Herman Cain Needs Foreign Policy Expert (lezgetreal.com)
- How Stupid Is Herman Cain? (slog.thestranger.com)
- Herman Cain Fumbles On Foreign Policy (huffingtonpost.com)
- Herman Cain warns China trying to get nukes they’ve had since 1960s (dailykos.com)
- Herman Cain Doesn’t Know China Has the Bomb (firedoglake.com)
- Did Cain Know That China Has Nukes? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Do you want a President who not only doesn’t realize that China already has nuclear… (eoghann.com)
This is a long post but an enjoyable read from marvinborg over at…
The flyer says:
Move Your MoneyThis bank is run by crooks
They crashed the world economy and blamed it on the poor
They take your deposits and use them to buy politicians, to de-regulate and give them immunity, interest-free loans and bailouts
Then they turn around and charge you fees to make them even richer
November 5th is move your money day
Take your money to a credit union or community bank that will use your money in the community and not to pervert the rule of law and fill their own pockets
[QR code with the URL above]
At around noon, I put on my best suit, white shirt and tie. I went and stood outside Chase during rush-hour and handed out flyers.
“Good afternoon Sir/Ma’am – The big banks are run by CROOKS, they played casino with your money and crashed the economy. Your money is not safe with them.” and handed them a flyer. Big smile, totally non-threatening, not blocking the sidewalk, kept walking the entire time.
Outside the bank was an armed private security guard. His name is George. I know this because I first introduced myself, gave him a flyer and told him I would cause him no trouble. George is one of the 99% and he had no beef in the banks game.
Within a few minutes, both banks stationed an employee just inside the door to prevent me from entering. They also called mall security to come and shoo me away. Inside the branches, employees were running around like headless chickens terrified of a single guy, in a suite, politely handing out flyers.
The first “senior” security guy arrives, George’s boss. Now there’s two.
Sec2: “Are you the one handing out flyers?”
MB: “Yes Sir, would you like one?”
Sec2: “You can’t do that here!”
MB: “Is that so Sir, why not?”
Sec2: “This is private property!”
MB: “The sidewalk is private property? It looks to me like it is open to the public. I’m the public and I’m not blocking or bothering anyone. As you can see, I am being polite and respectful, just handing out flyers. Excuse me [person was walking by] Hi Ma’am, this bank is run by crooks – [hand out a flyer]“
Sec2: “Well I did my job and warned you”
MB: “Well thank you for the warning. I will not cause you any trouble, Sir, but I will not stop handing out flyers”.
10 minutes later. Another security guy arrives, with backup. Now there’s four.
Sec3 to Sec2: “Where is he?”
MB: “I’m right here!!”
Sec3: “You need to leave”
MB: “Why is that, Sir? Would you like a flyer?”
Sec3: “You can’t do that here”
MB: “On the contrary, Sir, I have every right to be here and every right to hand out flyers, respectfully. I will not cause you any trouble”
Sec3: “We’ll see about that [grabs a flyer], we’ll see about that”
MB: “have a great afternoon, Sir”
5 minutes later, a huge guy arrives, goes to talk to the branch manager. Now there’s 5. The BofA manager (spiffy suit!) walks out with him from the branch.
BofABoss: “What, are you working for the credit union?”
MB[my best line of the day]: “No Sir, they work for me, unlike your bank that works for investors and shareholders”
BofABoss: “Get a job!”
MB: “I have a job. I run a company. I created 17 jobs in the last 5 years, while you were blowing up the economy. How many jobs did you destroy?”
BofABoss: “Well go do your job then”
MB: “Right now, my job is telling your customers that your bank is run by crooks”
BofABoss: “We’ll see about that”
10 minutes later, the police arrive. Two motorcycle cops, one male, one female.
I calmly walk up to them as they are dismounting their bikes, keep about 10 ft of distance and smiling with both hands visible.
MB “Good afternoon officers. Are you here for me?”
Off1: “Why, what did you do? [hehe, trick question]“
MB: “Nothing, officers. I’m politely and calmly handing out flyers and talking to people. I’m not blocking the sidewalk or causing any disturbance”
Off1: “Well, let’s see what’s going on, wait here”
MB: “Yes officer, I will not leave, thank you”
Both officers go into the bank to talk to BofABoss. They come out a few minutes later.
Off1: “They say you are trespassing. Did you go into the bank?”
MB: “No Sir, I did not enter the premises at any time. I have been walking along the sidewalk, not blocking traffic or their business and I have been handing out flyers. If you ask George here he will tell you that I’m not bothering anyone, he’s watched me for almost an hour”. George nods, and says “this guy, no problem”.
BofABoss comes out with a triumphant smirk. Officer1 turns to him:
“He has the right to speak and the right to hand out flyers. Unless he blocks you or causes a disturbance, he has the right to be here – please don’t call the police again if he is not bothering you. If you don’t like free speech you should move to another country”
MY JAW IS ON THE FLOOR.
The banker turns bright red and storms back inside.
Off1: “Keep it peaceful, now. This is the way to protest, I have no problem with you as long as you don’t block”.
MB: “Yes officer! Thank you so much, have a nice day”
For almost 90 minutes, I moved between the Chase and the BofA, handing out flyers. Inside, I saw the manager of the Chase [ChaseBoss], conferring with an employee. The employee turns around and shows me my own flyer, photocopied in with many other pages – they are building a FILE on me! I pretended to tremble in fear, which only pissed them off more. Like I’m gonna be scared of a photocopier. Guess what, I have a printer too…
I handed out 250 flyers, got laughs, nods, support, high-fives and plenty of perplexed looks, as people read my flyer.
As I left, I told George: “See you tomorrow George”
This was so much fun, I will surely see George tomorrow…
- New Bottom Line Announces National Bank Divestment Campaign (news.firedoglake.com)
- Bank of America’s Fee Cancellation Is a Major Victory Signaling the Maturing of the Occupy Movement (alternet.org)
- Left blogs crow over bank fee win (politico.com)
- 11 simple ways to support the occupy movement without sleeping in a park ” i am lauren leonardi (worldwright.wordpress.com)
- Brad Miller Pushing Ahead With Reforms After Bank Of America Changes Debit Card Fee Rules (huffingtonpost.com)
- Americans Closing Bank Accounts, Moving Money to Credit Unions (usnews.com)
- Banks likely to try range of new fees (boston.com)
- Why Credit Unions Are a Better Financial Choice For Us Than Big Banks (dailyfinance.com)
Fox News is Anonymous‘ latest target. To that, I say: Hooray!!!
Fox News commentators are indeed bullies, as described by Anonymous, in the following video and accompanying transcript:
Anonymous – Operation Fox Hunt – Anti Fox News Campaign
[Anonymous] Source: LYBIO.net
We are anonymous
We do not forgive
We do not forget
[Anonymous] Source: LYBIO.net
Citizens of the world and internet, we are anonymous. Fox News is not a target of Anonymous because of their… (not just fox news, but Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck our primary targets because they claimed to be fair and balanced only to become right wing bullies and thugs!) continued propaganda against the occupations.
Those such as Sean Hannity are attacking the credentials as well as the character of the occupiers at Wall Street and this can’t no longer be allowed. Anonymous introduces Operation Fox Hunt. Anonymous intends on destroying the Fox news website because of their continued right wing conservative propaganda can’t no longer be tolerated.
They use words such as filthy, disgusting and dirty to describe the protesters since they will not belittling the occupiers we will simply shut them down. On November 5th we ask those who are able to commence attacks on Fox News. Anonymous will not only shut down Fox News, we will also engage in a propaganda campaign of our own to show them how it feels to be chastised.
Fox News your time has come Operation Fox Hunt November 5th (2011) May the hunt begin. We are anonymous we are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. Expect us.
Anonymous – Operation Fox Hunt – Anti Fox News Campaign. Fox News is not a target of Anonymous because of their… (not just fox news, but Sean Hannity, Bill O’Reilly, Glenn Beck our primary targets because they claimed to be fair and balanced only to become right wing bullies and thugs!). Complete Full Transcript, Dialogue, Remarks, Saying, Quotes, Words And Text.
- Anonymous-Operation Fox Hunt: Anti Fox News Campaign – Nov 5 (pdalbury.wordpress.com)
- Anonymous threatens to destroy Fox News on Guy Fawkes Day (digitaltrends.com)
- Anonymous has Fox News in its crosshairs (geek.com)
- ‘Anonymous’ Threatens to Take Down Fox News Next Month (techland.time.com)
- Anonymous Threatens Fox News Over Occupy Wall Street (escapistmagazine.com)
- Anonymous set to destroy Fox News (rt.com)
When prosecutors charged executives from the precious metals company Goldline with fraud on Tuesday, it marked an unusual victory for someone who hasn’t had many wins lately: former New York congressman Anthony Weiner.
Before he became infamous and ultimatelyresigned for tweeting photos of his private parts to women he met on the internet, Weiner had earned a reputation as a defender of consumer rights. Among his biggest campaigns was an effort to rein in sleazy gold dealers, from those who were taking advantage of the recession with dubious “cash for gold” deals to shady coin operations like Goldline, who, as Mother Jones reported last year, made millions by peddling their wares on the talk shows of right-wing hosts like Glenn Beck.
In May of last year, Weiner released a report highlighting many of the issues that ultimately ended up being part of the prosecutors’ charges Tuesday. His outspoken criticism of the company sparked a very public feud with Beck, who refused to distance himself from Goldline, which had been one of his most loyal sponsors. Beck asked his listeners to send in doctored photos of Weiner showing the congressman with “his nose as a wiener.” He said he welcomed any “Weiner facts” or photos of the congressman “in front of the wienermobile in front of his house, with his wiener dog, with his little wiener children.” Beck set up a website called weinerfacts.com just to post all the photos.
The day after Weiner resigned, Beck gloated about his nemesis’ downfall in a lengthy on-air rant, saying, “We’re going to have to do without, without one of the most unlikable figures in American political history. Remember, there is a guy who was capable of being completely unlikable. Even when he was arguing for healthcare, for 9/11 responders, he was unlikable…He could say anything, look and sound the exact same way. It didn’t matter if he was lying about Goldline or health care or his own wiener shots.”
- Goldline Execs Charged With Fraud (abcnews.go.com)
- Goldline Charged with Theft and Fraud (slog.thestranger.com)
- Glenn Beck-Endorsed Goldline Hit With Criminal Complaint; Brian Ross And GMA Told You So (mediaite.com)
- Glenn Beck’s Sponsor Goldline Under Investigation By Los Angeles D.A. For Fraud (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Glenn Beck-touted Goldline charged in criminal complaint (dailykos.com)
- Glenn Beck’s favorite advertiser faces 19 fraud charges (americablog.com)
Why won’t our media expose the Koch Brothers for what they are?
Oh never mind, the corporate media is part of the problem in this country.
Al Jazeera released a new mini-documentary yesterday on the Koch Brothers — the multi-billionare energy tycoons who have spent over $50 million on campaigns to tear down the science of climate change and clean energy policy.
The documentary features a lengthy interview with our colleague Lee Fang, an investigative reporter with Think Progress, who has played a major role in uncovering the strong “web of influence” of the Koch Brothers on state and federal politicians. The film touches on the Koch role in everything from health care to energy policy. It’s worth the watch. (Note: much of the energy and climate stuff is in the second half, after about 15 minutes.)
This is exactly why “the other 99%” of Americans are protesting in the streets.
- Koch Brothers, Tea Party, Attacks on Unions, Wisconsin (talkingunion.wordpress.com)
- How The Koch Brothers And Their Company Would Fix America (businessinsider.com)
- Cain’s Other Scandal (mydd.com)
- Zizek and Al Jazeera (slog.thestranger.com)
- Zizek on Al Jazeera – “Now the Field is Open” (footnotes2plato.com)
- The Magic Kingdom: Qatar Calls for Election, But Is It Too Good To Be True? (globalspin.blogs.time.com)
- Robert Fisk: Al Jazeera – 15 years in the headlines (independent.co.uk)
- Bill O’Reilly: Here at Fox News, We Expect Facts To Back You Up (crooksandliars.com)
- Al Jazeera: Qatar’s promoter of the Arab Spring (japantimes.co.jp)