Herman Cain may have some surprises at his first national security briefings should he win the presidency.
In an interview with PBS, Cain appears to suggest that Americans should consider China dangerous in part because they’re pursuing “nuclear capability.” In fact, China tested its first nuclear device in 1964 and has had a stockpile of warheads for decades.
HERMAN CAIN: I do view China as a potential military threat to the United States.JUDY WOODRUFF: And what could you do as president to head that off?
HERMAN CAIN: My China strategy is quite simply outgrow China. It gets back to economics. China has a $6 trillion economy and they’re growing at approximately 10 percent. We have a $14 trillion economy — much bigger — but we’re growing at an anemic 1.5, 1.6 percent. When we get our economy growing back at the rate of 5 or 6 percent that it has the ability to do, we will outgrow China.
And secondly, we already have superiority in terms of our military capability, and I plan to get away from making cutting our defense a priority and make investing in our military capability a priority, going back to my statement: peace through strength and clarity. So yes they’re a military threat. They’ve indicated that they’re trying to develop nuclear capability and they want to develop more aircraft carriers like we have. So yes, we have to consider them a military threat.
Hotair, one of the blogs to catch Cain’s comment, suggests there is some slight ambiguity there — that he may be referring to nuclear-powered aircraft carriers — but the context makes it a close call at best.
Cain’s foreign policy knowledge has been a liability in recent months and he’s downplayed its importance overall.
“I’m ready for the ‘gotcha’ questions, and they’re already starting to come,” Cain said in a CBNinterview last month. “And when they ask me who is the president of Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan, I’m going to say you know, I don’t know. Do you know?”
- Cain on China: “They’re trying to develop nuclear capability” (hotair.com)
- Herman Cain Fumbles On Foreign Policy (huffingtonpost.com)
- Herman Cain: I Don’t Know The ‘President Of Ubeki-beki-beki-stan-stan’ (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Herman Cain Speaks Of ‘The So-Called Palestinian People’ (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Herman Cain Owns His Foreign Policy Experience: ‘Don’t Know The ‘President Of Ubeki-beki-beki-stan-stan’ (mediaite.com)
- Herman Cain Says No One Cares That He Can’t Name the President of “Ubeki-beki-beki-beki-stan-stan” (wzlx.radio.com)
- Video: More From Cain On China (riehlworldview.com)