Herman Cain picked that figure from thin air and quoted it as if he were some poll expert. Didn’t he learn his lesson on Fox’s Chris Wallace Show a few months ago when he made a similar brainless faux pas?
Here’s a statistical fact about Herman Cain: Cain is 0 for 2 when appearing on Wallace’s show and alleging a factual statement which turns out to be untrue.
Unless Herman Cain is a bit more delusional than he appears to be, there is no way he believes he’s got a chance of winning the GOP primary no matter how many meaningless straw polls he wins. The man is more likely positioning himself for a place on a Romney or Perry ticket.
Here’s Mister 999 on Fox.
“Now, the African-American vote, I am confident, based upon black people that I run into, black people that used to call my radio show, black people that have signed up on my Web site to support me — I believe, quite frankly, that my campaign, I will garner a minimum of a third of the black vote in this country, and possibly more…”
“The fact that my plan resonates — the fact that if we boost this national economy, we’re gonna help the state economy — that’s gonna help the local economy, and that’s gonna help the household economy. And because the unemployment rate for black people is nearly 17 percent, instead of the 9 percent, they’re looking for something that’s gonna boost this economy, and they see that possibility in my 9-9-9 plan.
“That’s what’s going to peel off the black vote, results, not rhetoric.”
Actually, it’ll take a hell of a lot more than a Herman Cain to “peel off” the black vote. Obama picked up 95% of that vote in 2008 and Kerry had 88% of it in 2004. I doubt that African-Americans could ever be convinced to change political affiliation and vote for a man, regardless of color, who talks of privatizing Social Security. Nor do I imagine they’d be too enthralled with casting a vote for a man who promotes a tax plan (9-9-9) which shifts a greater portion of the tax burden on to the poor while at the same time decreasing the tax rate for the rich. PolitiFact breaks down 999 for you.
Herman Cain, Chilean model, 999…not in this lifetime.
- Herman Cain: I’ll win a third of the black vote – Source: Politico (I Hate It When One Is So Intelligent That It Makes Them Ignant) (curmilus.wordpress.com)
- Herman Cain: I’ll win a third of the black vote (thegrio.com)
- Herman Cain Says Blacks Have Been Brainwashed Against Gop (mikesright.wordpress.com)
- Herman Cain Says Democratic Blacks Are Brainwashed (alan.com)
- Overheard on CNN.com: Cain is wrong about black Dems (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Herman Cain Says Blacks Have Been Brainwashed Against Conservatives (constitutionclub.org)
- It’s Herman Cain’s Moment in the Sun (slog.thestranger.com)
- Cain: Blacks have been “Brainwashed” (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Herman Cain: Black Voters ‘Have Been Brainwashed Into Not Being Open-Minded’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- CAIN: Black Community Was ‘Brainwashed’ Into Voting For Obama (businessinsider.com)