Daily Archives: September 28, 2011
I’m curious to see what will become of Officer Anthony Bologna since his actions have become a high-profile story…
Activists have identified the senior New York Police Department officer who allegedly pepper-sprayed young women at the “Occupy Wall Street” protests, and it’s not the first time he has been accused of civil rights abuses.
The Guardian confirmed that the officer is Anthony Bologna, who was also accused of civil rights abuses and false arrest during the 2004 Republican National Convention in New York City.
Photographs of the officer’s badge also suggested that Bologna was the person in question.
A file released by the hacker group Anonymous pointed to a 2007 civil rights suit filed against Bologna.
Post A. Posr, the man named as a plaintiff in that suit, was arrested during the 2004 convention although he wasn’t actively taking part in the protests.
“Police contend that Posr hit the man with a rolled-up newspaper,” Posr lawyer Alan Levine told The Guardian. “He said he was just talking to the guy. Bologna ordered another officer, Camejo, to arrest Posr.”
Posr was taken to a make-shift detention facility at Pier 57, where he was held until the protests were over.
Officer Tulio Camejo was also named in the suit.
“A bunch of us were wondering if any of the same guys were involved,” Levine recalled.
Questions about Bologna appeared to go back to 2001, when the People’s Law Collective claimed that arrests he made helped to incite a Mayday riot.
Chelsea Elliott, one of the pepper-sprayed activists, described her ordeal to Animal New York.
“I will march again,” she said. “But I’ll wear sunglasses and a fucking bandana.”
- Pepper-Spraying Cop Accused of Abusing Bush Protesters in 2004 (crooksandliars.com)
- Occupy Wall Street: ‘Pepper-spray’ officer named in Bush protest claim (guardian.co.uk)
- Pepper Spray Cop Already Had Civil-Rights Complaint [Video] (gawker.com)
- NYPD cop outted for pepper-spraying protesters (rt.com)
- The Now-Infamous NYPD Pepper-Spraying of #OccupyWallStreet Protesters (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- Speaking of sociopaths (brobrubel.wordpress.com)
- Anonymous Identifies And Targets Pepper Spraying Police Officer Anthony Bologna (buzzfeed.com)
- Occupy Wall Street Retribution Against Police Officer who used pepper spray on peaceful female protesters (iflizwerequeen.com)
Several members of the group Veterans for Peace were escorted out of the Old South Meeting House in Boston Monday night after they attempted a citizen’s arrest of former Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.
“I went down in front and looked Donald Rumsfeld in the eye and said, ‘I’m making a citizen’s arrest,’” protester Nate Goldschlag told WCVB-TV.
“He lied us into Iraq. He lied about weapons of mass destruction. He lied about Saddam Hussein being involved in 9/11.”
Three of the protesters removed from the event were with Veterans for Peace and a fourth was a member of Code Pink. One protester was arrested outside the event for allegedly using a bullhorn to assault a police officer.
Most of the 300 people who had to buy a copy of Rumsfeld’s book, “Known and Unknown,” to attend the event appeared to be fans.
“He’s one of the greatest Americans that has ever lived,” one woman said.
Watch this video from WCVB-TV, broadcast Sept. 26, 2011.
- Veterans Attempt Citizens Arrest of Rumsfeld in Boston (crooksandliars.com)
- Cheney, Rumsfeld Meet with Protest (stevebeckow.com)
- Donald Rumsfeld on Social Situations (learnfrommyfail.failblog.org)
- Rumsfeld Heckled At Hub Book Event (bostonist.com)
- Donald Rumsfeld Stripped Of Immunity In Torture Case (colonel6.com)
- A Look Back: Donald Rumsfeld Says Time Has Come To Let Gays Serve Openly (queerty.com)
- Welcome to Boston, Mr. Rumsfeld. You Are Under Arrest (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- Opinion: Dick Cheney, the man who was always right (calgaryherald.com)