I mean what really happened?
Karl Rove won’t say it aloud, but he is afraid of Rick Perry: afraid that the smack-talking Texas governor will wreck the GOP’s chances of winning the White House and the Senate in 2012.
The Perry-Rove story is shaping up as the ultimate tale of dangerously unintended consequences, with Rove in the role of Dr. Frankenstein and Perry as his living, rampaging political creation.
Insiders know that Rove helped launch Perry’s career by advising Perry’s successful run for agriculture commissioner in 1990.
But the larger, deeper point is that Rove designed and built the Texas Republican machine that has now allowed Perry to go national — even after Rove and company tried (and failed) to stop him by running Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) against him for re-election.
Rove and much of the rest of the GOP Texas establishment was and is embarrassed by Perry: his rootin’-tootin’ style; his naked plays for the votes of the prayerful; his sometimes almost violent accusatory language and his preference for sound bites so pronounced he makes George W. Bush seem like Pericles.
Before Perry announced his bid, Rove was cautious in his comments. “I think he can be a formidable candidate,” Rove told The Huffington Post. “He is the governor of Texas, and he can be a force.”
But Rove has since taken to the Fox airwaves to warn Perry to pipe down, especially after the governor warned Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke that he would be “treated ugly” in Texas and regarded as a “traitor” if he expanded the money supply to fight recession.
Continue reading here…
- Karl Rove’s Monster (themoderatevoice.com)
- Quote of the Day: Is Rick Perry Karl Rove’s Frankenstein Monster? (themoderatevoice.com)
- Karl Rove: Sarah Palin Will Run For President (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Karl Rove: He Created Rick Perry – Now Can He Stop Him? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Losing Combination: Bloviations from Howard Fineman and misleading headlines from HuffPost (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Karl Rove: Its ‘Offensive’ to Say We Are a Christian Nation (maboulette.wordpress.com)
- American Way: Getting ugly in Texas – Karl Rove and the Democrats desperate to stop the Rick Perry posse (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Rick Perry’s Donors Reaped Benefits From Texas System (huffingtonpost.com)
- Palin Running? (maboulette.wordpress.com)