Summing tonight’s news: Obama gave a speech. Then Boehner gave a speech. Obama stressed compromise, Boehner stressed that “bipartisan” somehow meant the hardcore teabagger “Cut, Cap, Balance” plan that everyone knows has no chance of passing the Senate, but Boehner doesn’t really care because none of this is really about debt or deficit at this point.
This time we didn’t get vaguely-drunk-sounding Boehner, we got cranky petulant Boehner, and he delivered a speech that was basically a televised ransom note. Then a bunch of pundits said some stuff that I didn’t hear because nobody gives a crap what they think anymore.
Right now, the U.S. stock market is staring in the mirror, holding a big container of pills in one hand, and wondering where it all went wrong.
- Boehner to America: give me what I want or you’re all screwed (dailykos.com)
- For parity, here’s Boehner’s speech text too. (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- US’s Boehner: Obama Can End Debt Crisis By Embracing GOP Plan (forexlive.com)
- No stalemate here – Boehner: ‘I gave it my all’ (politico.com)
- Obama, Boehner spar in debt speeches (politico.com)
- Boehner: Didn’t want “mano-a-mano” with Obama (cbsnews.com)