We all know that Rush Limbaugh is a very well paid spokesman for the monied interest that want the Democrats out of office in the White House, the Senate and the House. He’s nothing more than a water carrier for Wall Street, the Koch brothers and the like.
What boggles the mind is how is it his audience doesn’t see through this. Everything Limbaugh rants about is against the majority of his listeners’ best interest. Go figure…
Spinning a conspiracy theory that puts his listeners’ lives at risk, hate radio merchant Rush Limbaugh argued that government warnings of life-threatening heat are “playing games”:
They’re playing games with us on this heat wave, again. Even Drudge. Drudge getting sucked in here. Going to be 116 in Washington. No, it’s not. It’s gonna be like 100, maybe 99. A heat index, manufactured by the government to tell you what it feels like when you add the humidity in there.
Listen here: http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/201107200019
“We have this every year,” Rush claimed, after arguing that former vice president Al Gore could cancel the heat wave by scheduling a “global warming conference.”
Limbaugh is dangerously wrong.
This record-shattering heat wave is part of a year of extremes, with a winter and spring of record precipitation in the northern half of the country, and record drought and heat in the southern half. The record warmth baked the Great Plains, and is now expanding over the flood-soaked ground of the Midwest and Northeast, drenched by record precipitation over the winter and spring. That added moisture is creating the uniquely dangerous heat wave hitting the East Coast.
The record precipitation feeding the steam heat now is part of a long-term trend of increasing precipitation caused by greenhouse pollution. The record snows were mocked by climate deniers like Limbaugh and Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK), whose family built an “igloo for Al Gore” on the National Mall.
The combination of heat and humidity in the heat index is no government conspiracy — researchers have found that sickness and mortality go up sharply when the heat index gets above 95.
This is no ordinary summer — in July alone, record high temperatures have been recorded1,279 times. This is no ordinary year. This is no ordinary decade. The climate is changing, because of the pollution of hundreds of billions of tons of greenhouse gases from burning coal and oil. This is a more deadly planet now, and will be for the rest of our lives. Rush’s ravings are mortally irresponsible.
UPDATE: Joe Romm notes that Fox News meteorologists are spreading the heat-index “conspiracy.”
- 13 Dead as Heat Wave Broils US (newser.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: ‘Where Are The Charges Of Racism’ Against ‘Deranged’ Wasserman Schultz? (mediaite.com)
- Rush Limbaugh on debt ceiling deadline: “Had To Get A Special Dispensation” To Fundraise On Aug. 3 Because of Ramadan (crooksandliars.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: They Wouldn’t Care if Casey Anthony Had an Abortion (lifenews.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: Media Wouldn’t Be Angry With Casey Anthony Verdict If She Had An Abortion (mediaite.com)
- Think yesterday was hot? (dispatch.com)
- Washington Post Copies, Then Slaps Drudge (usnews.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama ‘Insulting Us Like Never Before’ With ‘Lie’ About Social Security Checks (mediaite.com)
- NBC’s Chuck Todd: Rush Limbaugh And Sarah Palin Could Never Win GOP Nomination (mediaite.com)
- Grover Norquist: A Democrat’s Best Friend (themoderatevoice.com)