It was just a matter of time…
The Obama campaign website was hacked on Tuesday and invited supporters to two fake anti-government events hosted by an unnamed “Commy Obama.”
The campaign’s application for mobile devices, such as iPhones and iPads, directed users to two events titled “Rules of Politics” scheduled for noon on Tuesday in Washington.
“1. Politicians and other public servants lie,” read the event description provided on the Obama campaign website. (Full screenshot here.) “
2. Politicians tell you what you want to hear and offer to provide things for ‘free’ to get votes.
3. When government buys, the people pay.”
The 430-word message lists 21 total anti-government criticisms, none of which target Obama, another politician or a particular political party by name.
Click here for the rest of the story
- Obama Campaign Website ‘Hacked’: ‘Commy Obama’ Invites Supporters To ‘Anti-Government’ Events (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Jack Dorsey’s Twitter Town Hall: By Obama, for Obama (riehlworldview.com)
- Obama’s 2012 campaign makes moves (via CNN Political Ticker) (techweev.com)
Posted: 7-6-2011 – Updated: 7-7-2011
House Republicans are crashing President Barack Obama’s Twitter Town Hallon Wednesday by flooding the event with questions of their own about what they’re calling his “failed” economic policies.
Hours ahead of Obama’s first-ever Twitter event, during which he will answer questions from people around the country on jobs and the economy, House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) launched a live stream feed of GOP questions for the president.
Several high-level House Republicans piled their questions into the feed throughout the morning and will continue to do so throughout Obama’s event, which starts at 2 p.m EST. The White House has been publicizing the event for more than a week and telling people to reference “#askobama” when pitching their Twitter questions to the president. Republicans are now pouncing on that hashtag.
“Reducing spending, creating jobs and reinvigorating our economy are what #HouseGOP are focused on, what about the administration? #askobama,” tweeted Ways and Means Chairman Dave Camp (R-Mich.).
“#AskObama Senate hasn’t passed a budget in 798 days. House passed plan 2 lift debt&spur job creation–what is your jobs plan?” Budget Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) tweeted.
Oversight and Government Reform Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) joined in, writing, “#AskObama: how are your job-crushing #regulations helping #smallbiz owners like Neil? VIDEO: http://bit.ly/kSU6UI #4jobs.”
The House GOP Conference is recruiting others in the Twittersphere to ask Obama tough questions about jobs and to retweet messages that reflect their frustrations with his policies.
Republicans are also using the event to direct Twitter followers to their own GOP jobs plan, at jobs.GOP.gov.
“We’re excited the President is taking questions on jobs and the economy,” Boehner spokesman Brendan Buck told The Huffington Post. “He’s got a lot of questions to answer — starting with, ‘Where are the jobs?'”
- The Best #AskObama Questions from Obama’s Twitter Town Hall (blogs.sfweekly.com)
- Commander-in-Tweet: Obama answers voters’ questions in Twitter town hall (windsorstar.com)
- Republicans, U.S. Chamber ‘crash’ President Obama Twitter Town Hall (politicore.wordpress.com)
- Obama holds Twitter town hall with #AskObama (summitcountyvoice.com)
- Paul Ryan Challenges Obama To Debate Over Debt Crisis (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- So was the Twitter Town Hall better than a regular one? (gigaom.com)
- Twitter Town Hall to combine live streaming with big data analysis (gigaom.com)
When I saw this, I actually felt tears streaming down my cheeks. It’s a happy video, but the emotional reaction from the kids just blows you away…
GOP governors across the country are implementing voter suppression laws designed to keep minorities from voting en masse. Of course they deny this but the machinations going on within each state involved in this affront to civil liberties is undeniable. It’s nothing short of the re-implementation of jim crow laws.
Former President Bill Clinton weighed in on Republican efforts in several states to pass new restrictions on voting, comparing the measures to the Jim Crow laws of the past.
“There has never been in my lifetime, since we got rid of the poll tax and all the Jim Crow burdens on voting, the determined effort to limit the franchise that we see today,” Clinton said in a speech at a Campus Progress conference in Washington.
He specifically called out Florida Governor Rick Scott (R) for trying to reverse past precedent and prevent convicted felons from voting even after they’ve completed their sentence.
“Why should we disenfranchise people forever once they’ve paid their price?” Clinton said. “Because most of them in Florida were African Americans and Hispanics who tended to vote for Democrats. That’s why.”
Clinton is hardly the first Democrat to raise the alarm over a wave of Republican-proposed laws purportedly aimed at combating voter fraud. The Democratic Governor Association is raising money for a new voter protection project to counter the proposals, which they say violate minority voters’ civil rights.
H/t: Yankee Clipper
- Former President Bill Clinton Likens GOP Effort To Jim Crow Laws (politicore.wordpress.com)
- DNC chairwoman: Republicans ‘literally’ want to revive Jim Crow laws (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- The Crackdown on Voting (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- ACLU sues Rick Scott to stop ‘voter suppression’ (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Bill Clinton for White House Chief of Staff (delong.typepad.com)
- Bill Clinton slams Grover Norquist’s ‘chilling’ veto power over GOP (dailykos.com)
Here’s a handy guide that MSNBC has laid out for those of us who are “debt limit challenged”.
What really happens if the U.S. fails to pay interest, principal on Treasury bonds?
President Barack Obama and Republican congressional leaders are locked in a tense standoff over how much spending and debt the federal government can afford. Here’s a guide to the fight over the debt limit:
What is the debt limit?
It is the statutory limit on the amount of federal debt.
In February 2010, Congress passed legislation to increase the debt limit to $14.29 trillion. Since 1993, Congress has voted to increase the debt limit 16 times.
Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner has warned Congress that if it doesn’t vote to increase the debt ceiling before the government reaches its borrowing limit on Aug. 2, it would trigger a default by the United States.
A default “would have catastrophic economic consequences that would last for decades,” Geithner said, by spurring ruinously high interest rates and threatening “the dollar’s dominant role in the international financial system.”
Why are congressional Republicans refusing to raise the debt ceiling?
Republicans argue that federal spending — which is now nearly 25 percent of GDP — must finally be brought under control. The only way to force Obama to agree to spending cuts is to refuse to raise the debt limit, they argue.
Obama said Monday that he agrees with Republicans that trillions of dollars of spending cuts are needed over the next decade, but he also wants to get rid of certain tax breaks that cause the government to lose revenue. At a Tuesday press briefing, he invited congressional leaders to continue negotiations at the White House.
Negotiators for the Obama administration and Congress have discussed about $2.4 trillion in spending cuts over the next ten years — about a 5 percent cut in total projected spending.
“I believe the Republican strategy will eventually result in some increase in the debt limit with very limited tax increases, but none of those tax increases will be in marginal (income tax) rates,” said Bill Hoagland, former top staffer on the Senate Budget Committee under Sen. Pete Domenici, R-N.M.
- VIDEO COMPILATION: Boehner And GOP Reject Acting Like ‘Adults’ To Play Childish Games With Debt Ceiling (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Geithner wants to leave Treasury After Debt Debate Deal | Politisite (milliron.wordpress.com)
- Liberals Fear Obama Is Bungling Debt Talks (swampland.time.com)
- “Let’s Get Real About Our National Debt” (alicelinahan.net)
- Debt Limit Will Be Increased By Congress, Says U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner (huffingtonpost.com)
- Breaching the Debt Ceiling… (delong.typepad.com)
- Who defaults first: Greece or the US? (bbc.co.uk)
- Treasury gives Congress one month to raise debt limit (oregonlive.com)
- How the Debt Debate Might Lead to an Impeachment Frenzy (swampland.time.com)
- Debt Ceiling Strategies (delong.typepad.com)
- So You Think Your Government Pension is SAFE ??? (2012patriot.wordpress.com)
- Geithner might leave Treasury after debt-limit deal (dailykos.com)
On July 4, U.S. officials, foreign dignitaries and conservative luminaries gathered outside the American embassy in London to unveil a $1 million statue of Ronald Reagan. As it turns out, the timing was more than a little ironic. Because even as the Gipper was honored in Britain, it’s increasingly clear he would have no place in today’s Republican Party.
From Grover Norquist’s anti-tax promise and the Republican Study Committee’s “cut, cap and balance” pledge to the draconian anti-abortion oath of the Susan B. Anthony List, hardline conservative litmus tests are proliferating at a dizzying pace. And Ronald Reagan would have failed them all.
If a reanimated Ronald Reagan suddenly appeared in 2011, there is little question his GOP descendants would brand him a Republican In Name Only (RINO) and cast off him off into the wilderness. (As California Rep. Duncan Hunter put it, “a more moderate/former liberal like Ronald Reagan…would never be elected today in my opinion.”) Here’s why:
- Reagan tripled the national debt
- Reagan raised taxes 11 times
- Reagan expanded the size of government
- Reagan supported the “socialist” Earned Income Tax Credit
- Reagan negotiated with terrorists in Tehran
- Reagan sought to eliminate nuclear weapons
- Reagan gave amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants
- Reagan approved protectionist trade barriers
- Reagan signed abortion rights law in California
- Reagan eventually debunked AIDS myths Republicans continued to perpetuate
- Ronald Reagan Honored With Statue in London (shoppingblog.com)
- Ronald Reagan. Curriculum Vitae (socyberty.com)
- The Missing US Ambassador at the feast for Ronald Reagan (peregrine5700.wordpress.com)
- News Update: Ronald Regan’s Statue in London Unveiled to Present Honour (socyberty.com)
- Stilwell (Ledo) Road narrated by President Ronald Reagan (drkokogyi.wordpress.com)
- Ronald Reagan on Independence Day (minx.cc)
- Cartoon: Reagan Statue Unveiled (englishblog.com)