What a day…
First Mitt Romney said President Obama made the economy worse.
He did not cause this recession, but he made it worse.
Then Mitt Romney denied saying President Obama had made the economy worse.
I didn’t say that things are worse.
And now Mitt Romney is going back to his first position:
After disputing whether he had previously said President Obama made the recession worse last week former Gov. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts said on Monday that President Obama made the recession worse. …after initially seeming to limit his commentary to the president’s handling of the recovery, which he said, “has been slower and more painful,’’ But then he went ahead and said it, that the president “made the recession worse.”
That’s a pretty special flip-flop-flop on it’s own, but it gets better, because Mitt Romney also said this:
The recession is deeper because of our president; it’s seen an anemic recovery because of our president.
Uh, so now Mitt Romney says Obama made things worse, keeping us in a recession. And, at the same time, we’re also in a recovery. Never mind the fact that you can’t be in a recession and a recovery at the same time. As the L.A. Times puts it:
Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney has struggled to craft a consistent economic message in recent weeks — first blaming President Obama for driving the country deeper into recession and then backing off that charge during a visit to Pennsylvania. On Monday in southern New Hampshire, he appeared to offer those conflicting messages within one sentence.
In other words, Mitt Romney was for it before he was against it before he was for and against it.
At least for now. Tune in again tomorrow.
- Mitt Romney’s Full Flop (themoderatevoice.com)
- Mitt Romney Says He Wants to “Hang Obama by the Neck” (via Your Black World) (loveunlimd.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney Claims He Didn’t Say What He Said (alan.com)
- Romney flip-flops, claims he never said Obama made economy worse (dailykos.com)
- Herman Cain: ‘We’ve got to beat Mitt Romney’s money, not Mitt Romney’ (via CNN Political Ticker) (techweev.com)
- Why Mitt Romney SHOULD not be President! (smacktalkradio.wordpress.com)
2012 GOP presidential hopeful Rick Santorum continuedhis long-shot campaign this morning with an appearance on CNN. During the interview, Santorum attempted to criticize the Obama administration’s record on jobs, but inadvertently revealed his complete ignorance regarding the American labor force.
Last Friday, the administration’s Council of Economic Advisers released a report showing the effects of the 2009 Recovery Act, which to date has raised employment by between 2.4 and 3.6 million jobs. Santorum cited the report while trying to attack the administration.
However, he completely bungled it: Santorum said the Obama administration claimed to have created 280 million jobs last December, and is now claiming to have created 240 million jobs, thus proving that the Recovery Act somehow destroyed jobs:
SANTORUM: [Obama] passed a huge stimulus package that now we know, over the past two quarters, has actually cost American jobs, and that’s from the report of his own administration. They claimed in December that, uh, by the end of last year that they created 280 million jobs, and now they’re saying that they created only 240 million jobs. So look, in this, you’re talking about huge increases in spending.
ALI VELSHI: Senator, I’m going to ask you to restate that, I’ve never heard that in my life. Tell me again, what you just said.
SANTORUM: If you look at the report that came out on Friday, the President’s own economic advisers said that the jobs stimulus package actually created fewer jobs over the period of time, since the uh, since the stimulus package went in place than it did when they reported back in December. In other words, there’s 30 million less jobs as a result of the stimulus package.
VELSHI: That’s not a loss of jobs, Senator, that’s a smaller aggregation of jobs. You can’t go on a campaign, a national campaign with this kind of math Senator. It’s just incorrect…I know you’ve got a lot of interviews to do. You might want to check that math.
- Santorum Blames Liberal Plot For Students’ Bad History Scores (VIDEO) (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- $278k Per Job “Created or Saved.” So the Stimulus Worked? (thehalshow.wordpress.com)
- Rick Santorum Omits Key Details On Deficit (huffingtonpost.com)
- Santorum: ‘I talk the talk and I walk the walk’ (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Obama’s Economists: ‘Stimulus’ Has Cost $278,000 per Job | The Weekly Standard (gds44.wordpress.com)
Fox News is reeling from an apparent hack of their Twitter account, after messages were posted in the very early a.m. hours purporting to break the (false) news that President Obama had been assassinated.
According to the tweets, Obama had just been shot by an unknown assailant while campaigning at a restaurant in Iowa, and died from the wounds. However, Obama was not in Iowa at all this past weekend, as evidenced by both the White House’s public schedule and an absence of any available news reports showing him in the state — and it would also be odd for him to have been campaigning at an Iowa restaurant after midnight.
Fox News posted a statement on their main web site:
FoxNews.com’s Twitter feed for political news, FoxNewspolitics, was hacked early Monday morning.
Hackers sent out several malicious and false tweets claiming that President Obama had been assassinated. Those reports are incorrect, of course, and the president is spending the July 4 holiday with his family.
The hacking is being investigated, and FoxNews.com regrets any distress the false tweets may have created.
As the Huffington Post has reported, before these messages were posted the alleged hackers appear to have actually marked their work, beginning by replacing the Fox logo with an “SK” logo, and a new account description: “H4CK3D BY TH3 5CR1PT K1DD3S.”
Messages were also posted on the account announcing the hack, but were then taken down and followed by the “news” of Obama’s death.
The tweets in question, as following in chronological order:
Just regained full access to our Twitter and email. Happy 4th
@BarackObama has just passed. The President is dead. A sad 4th of July, indeed. President Barack Obama is dead
@BarackObama has just passed. Nearly 45 minutes ago, he was shot twice in the lower pelvic area and in the neck; shooter unknown. Bled out
@BarackObama shot twice at a Ross’ restaurant in Iowa while campaigning. RIP Obama, best regards to the Obama family.
#ObamaDead, it’s a sad 4th of July. RT to support the late president’s family, and RIP. The shooter will be found
We wish @joebiden the best of luck as our new President of the United States. In such a time of madness, there’s light at the end of tunnel
- Hacked Fox News Twitter account falsely claims Obama’s death (digitaltrends.com)
- Fox News Twitter page hacked, falsely tweets Obama is assassinated (news-briefs.ew.com)
- Fox News Twitter Hacked – False Tweets Saying That President Barack Obama Had Been Shot Dead (socyberty.com)
- Hackers break into Fox News Feed and claim OBAMA SHOT DEAD….THIS IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE (bonjupatten.wordpress.com)
- Fox News Twitter Account Hacked; Falsely Reports President Obama Shot (themoderatevoice.com)
- Don’t Trust Hackers: President Obama Not Dead (escapistmagazine.com)
- Patriotism! FOX News’ Twitter Kills Barack Obama (dayandadream.com)