Underscoring the challenge Republican leaders in Congress will face when they have to round up votes to increase the debt limit — and they will have to increase the debt limit — the most influential conservative in their party is telling his colleagues, ‘if you vote for it, you’ll lose.’
“Based on what I can see around the country, not only are those individuals gone, but I would suspect the Republican Party would be set back many years,” Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) told ABC when asked about the looming vote.
DeMint is whipping Republicans to support a highly controversial Constitutional amendment requiring the government to maintain a balanced budget, and making tax increases functionally impossible as the price of voting to raise the debt limit. If not?
- Fear Mongering for Fear Mongers (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- These Are Fighting Words! (annem040359.wordpress.com)
- Sen. Jim DeMint’s “Cut, Cap and Balance” Qualifier (hotair.com)
- DeMint Threatens to Block Debt Vote (foxnews.com)
- Jim DeMint Prepared To Filibuster Debt Ceiling Vote (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Dangers of Politicizing the Debt Ceiling Vote (mydd.com)