I’ve seen this guy on MSNBC a few times and I would have to agree with Dave Weigel that freshman congressman Joe Walsh does seek out the spotlight and quite often at that.
So now he is trying what others have tried in the past, in order to garner some attention. Poor guy, his latest meme is old hat and just doesn’t fly.
Oliver Willis’ has the best take on this issue:
I like when Republicans are up front about this sort of thing, and don’t try to throw it under the radar. We get to see who the really horrible people are in an unvarnished way.
“Why was he elected? Again, it comes back to who he was. He was black, he was historic. And there’s nothing racist about this. It is what it is. If he had been a dynamic, white, state senator elected to Congress he wouldn’t have gotten in the game this fast. This is what made him different. That, combined with the fact that your profession”—another friendly tap of the bumper sticker—”not you, but your profession, was just absolutely compliant. They made up their minds early that they were in love with him. They were in love with him because they thought he was a good liberal guy and they were in love with him because he pushed that magical button: a black man who was articulate, liberal, the whole white guilt, all of that.”
Conservative Republicans don’t ever think they can lose an election. And when they do, it’s always something else that’s in play. It wasn’t the Iraq War, it was the spending! It wasn’t Obama, it was white guilt! It wasn’t killing Medicare, it was… something. And on and on.
- Rep. Joe Walsh: He’ll say anything, which is why he’s interviewed everywhere. (slate.com)
- Rep. Joe Fucking Walsh Says I’m Not a Good Enough Jew (slog.thestranger.com)
- Matt Yglesias has some ‘splainin’ to do (blogs.jta.org)
- Joe Walsh’s Life of Illusion (woodgatesview.wordpress.com)
- Joe Walsh: Scott Brown ‘Should Be Ashamed Of Himself’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Republican: US Jews should be more pro-Israel (thehill.com)
- GOP Rep. Joe Walsh: Government shutdown could be good for country (crooksandliars.com)