Rape is often called the ultimate violation of self. A crime of absolute contempt for personal integrity… What reprehensible event could possibly have the same consequences?
Well, getting a flat tire, according to Kansas state Rep. Pete DeGraaf.
Last Friday, Kansas legislators approved a ban on insurance companies offering abortion coverage as part of their general health plans. The one exception: when a woman’s life is at risk. DeGraaf also called for banning coverage for abortions of rape pregnancies. (Women could get around this if they purchased separate, “abortion-only policies.”)
During the House discussion there was predictably some disagreement over whether excluding rape pregnancies from coverage was perhaps the sort of callous treatment a recently violated woman shouldn’t have to deal with. Here’s DeGraaf’s response to Rep. Barbara Bollier’s challenge, as reported by the McPherson Sentinel:
Rep. Pete DeGraaf, a Mulvane Republican who supports the bill, told her: “We do need to plan ahead, don’t we, in life?”
Bollier asked him, “And so women need to plan ahead for issues that they have no control over with pregnancy?”
DeGraaf drew groans of protest from some House members when he responded, “I have a spare tire on my car.” ”I also have life insurance,” he added. “I have a lot of things that I plan ahead for.”
So angry… Women should now buy insurance in case they get raped AND pregnant?! There is no compassion here… To compare the bodily violation of rape to a flat tire is unconscionable. I’m sure Tina Anderson and this 12-year-old disabled girl saw it as a slight inconvenience as well.
Making government just small enough to fit through my cervix and into my uterus. That’s the Republican way!
- Abortion riders: Just another way to support rape culture (talkinreckless.com)
- Kansas: Restrictive Abortion Bill Passes (time.com)
- Kansas backs bill restricting abortion coverage (sfgate.com)
- Legislator Says Women Should Plan For Post-Rape Abortion, Since “I Have A Spare Tire” [Roe V. World] (jezebel.com)
- THE BENEFITS OF ACTIVISM: Slightly More Covert Rape Redefinition, Woo-Hoo (tigerbeatdown.com)
- Indiana Republicans fear women will lie about rape to exploit abortion ‘loophole’ (dailykos.com)
- This week in the War on Women (dailykos.com)
- In Republican Indiana, so-called rape victims might be faking it just so they can get abortions (crooksandliars.com)