I suppose one could say that with the passage of time, truth always prevails…
Ratings for Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and other hyperpartisans are declining as listeners seek honest talk from hosts like Michael Smerconish over angry rants. A more civil conversation will add value to our political debate, writes John Avlon.
There’s new evidence to suggest a demand for something different than hyper-partisanship in the world of talk radio and political media.
It’s not just the sunset of the Glenn Beck Show on Fox or the dispatch of Keith Olbermann from MSNBC to CurrentTV. It’s the shuttering of a pioneering conservative radio station and data showing the demographic decline of Rush Limbaugh.
In contrast, growing numbers of listeners are tuning in to independent voices who can be honest brokers in debates and don’t just angrily parrot talking points.
In February, I wrote a column asking whether right wing talk radio was dying and ruffled some feathers in that flock. A more accurate means of measuring listeners showed that conservative talkers’ ratings had either declined or flatlined in the heat of the 2010 election, while the world-journalism focus of the John Batchelor Show had seen a decided ratings climb. Now, a look at radical centrist Michael Smerconish’s national ratings growth since the start of the year provides more evidence of this emerging market.
First, here’s a snapshot that puts the shift in perspective: Just days after the 2010 election, the nation’s first all-conservative talk radio station, KVI in Seattle, switched back to a classic-rock format after 17 years. Its innovation had become media saturation—and music became an appealing alternative to the drone of a dozen Rush Limbaugh imitators.
- Daily Beast: John Avlon Pronounces Right-Wing Talk Dead, But Is It? (riehlworldview.com)
- Jackson Katz: Rush Limbaugh Scrambles to Un-Man Obama After Osama bin Laden killing (huffingtonpost.com)
- Limbaugh: ‘I Still Want Obama To Fail’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Mitch Daniels and the Talk Radio Right (douthat.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Rush Limbaugh On Ovulating And Hormonal Birth Control: Why D.C. Women Choose Effeminate Men (mediaite.com)
- Rush Limbaugh: Obama Owes Us an Osama Apology (newser.com)
- Dennis Prager Radio Host Opposite of Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck !Dennis is Happy and Thankful! (takingonacause.com)
- Will talk radio torpedo the GOP’s best shot at beating Obama? (atlmalcontent.wordpress.com)
- Talk Radio Hires Fake Callers (drudge.com)