Last night, (at the 9:53 point) Rachel Maddow and Chris Hayes pointed out Boehner’s flaws as a leader by citing the fact that Boehner insisted that the House GOP vote to support Paul Ryan’s Medicare overhaul plan before finding out what their constituents thought about the plan. As we all know, the GOP Town Hall participants were not very happy with Ryan’s plan.
Now Michele Bachmann and a local Tea Party leader are taking turns bashing Boehner…
Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) expressed sympathy on Monday for Tea Party groups’ dissatisfaction with House Speaker John Boehner’s (R-Ohio) leadership on the debt ceiling.
Bachmann, founder of the House Tea Party Caucus, gave her blessings to representatives of Tea Party groups who, at a Monday event, questioned whether the Speaker had done enough to address spending or shown enough fight in negotiations over raising the U.S. debt limit.
The Minnesota congresswoman didn’t show at the event, and she didn’t mention Boehner or any other Republican leader by name in the statement she released supporting Tea Party efforts. But she openly encouraged the Tea Party to “keep up the fight,” a move that, while possibly complicating her relationship with leadership, could play into her posturing for a potential run for president.
“Thank you to the Tea Party for not giving up the fight. Your stubborn determination to return our country to its founding principles gives me great hope for conservative accomplishments in the current House of Representatives and for even greater victories in 2012,” she said.
- Bachmann Rocks ‘Ruling Class’ With Amen From Tea Party (businessweek.com)
- I Stand With Michele Bachmann | RedState | Erick Erickson (jamespatrick1.wordpress.com)
- Rep. Bachmann Defies Conservative Tide With Strong Opposition To Govt. Shutdown (mediaite.com)
- Freshmen shrugging off Tea Party primary threats over spending deal (thehill.com)
- Rep. Barney Frank: Michele Bachmann’s Thinking Is ‘Seriously Delusional’ And ‘Bizarre’ (mediaite.com)
- John Boehner, GOP May Not Be Hearing Tea Party Pals (huffingtonpost.com)
- John Boehner declares his love for Paul Ryan’s budget: ‘I fully support Paul Ryan’s budget including his efforts on Medicare’. (crooksandliars.com)
- Boehner headlines event in House special election (sfgate.com)
- Poor John Boehner (lezgetreal.com)
- Boehner fears Tea Party, Reid says (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)