Bush stated at the time that this was the end to major combat operations in Iraq. While this statement did coincide with an end to the conventional phase of the war, Bush’s assertion — and the sign itself — became controversial after guerrilla warfare in Iraq increased during the Iraqi insurgency. The vast majority of casualties, both military and civilian, have occurred since the speech. (Wiki)
Osama Bin Laden is dead, President Obama announced Sunday night, in a televised address to the nation. His death was the result of a U.S. operation launched today in Abbottabad, Pakistan, against a compound where bin Laden was believed to be hiding, according to U.S. intelligence. After a firefight, a small team of American forces killed bin Laden and took possession of his body, the president said.
The announcement that Obama would speak came at 9:45 p.m., less than an hour before he was initially scheduled to go on the air. The unusual hour, and the fact that the White House gave no details about the topic, set off a flurry of speculation.
Officials long believed bin Laden, the most wanted man in the world, was hiding in a mountainous region along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border.
President Obama’s Announcement…
- White House: Osama Bin Laden is Dead (benzinga.com)
- Primetime interrupted: Osama bin Laden dead (insidetv.ew.com)
- News Of Osama Bin Laden’s Death Spreads Like Wildfire On Twitter (techcrunch.com)
- President Obama To Announce That Osama Bin Laden Dead – They have the Body (kymkemp.com)
- Bin Laden Killed (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Report: Osama bin Laden Is Dead; U.S. Has The Body (mediaite.com)
- OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD! President OBAMA to tell the WORLD about the details within minutes… (economy4abc.blogspot.com)
- Obama To Announce That Bin Laden is Dead (macleans.ca)
- 911 Mastermind Bin Laden Dead (dakotavoice.com)
- Osama bin Laden Is Dead (newser.com)