The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness. ~ John Kenneth Galbraith
In keeping with our “fact checking” theme for today, Think Progress has an article that’s apropos for today’s topic…
A film adaptation of the 1957 novel Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand, opened this past Friday. The release of the film has coincided with a resurgence of popularity for Rand on the American Right. The trailer for Atlas Shrugged had its world premier at this year’s CPAC conference, the Tea Party group FreedomWorks has rolled outa massive campaign to promote the film, and the story’s opening line — “Who is John Galt?” — has appeared on numerous signs at Tea Party rallies.
At the same time, some of the right’s leading political and media lights have heaped praise upon Rand. The author of the Republicans’ new budget plan to gut Medicare and Medicaid, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), has said Rand is the reason he entered politics, and requires his staff to read her work. Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) have both declared themselves devotees of her writing. Conservative Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has his law clerks watch the film adaptation of Rand’s book The Fountainhead. She’s also received accolades from right-wing pundits Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, John Stossel, and Andrew Napolitano.
During her lifetime, Rand advocated “the virtue of selfishness,” declared altruism to be “evil,” opposed Medicare and all forms of government support for the middle-class and the poor, and condemned Christianity for advocating love and compassion for the less fortunate:
More from Yankee Clipper:
- Ayn Rand Would Laugh At Him (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
- Guess Who Mentions Ayn Rand More Than Anyone Else in Congress? (slog.thestranger.com)
- Philosophy Weekend: Why Ayn Rand Is Wrong (and Why It Matters) (litkicks.com)
- Atlas Shrugged Movie : Ayn Rand’s Capatlist Philosophies (socyberty.com)
- Ayn Rand fans find love using the Atlasphere (holykaw.alltop.com)
- ‘Atlas Shrugged’ Hits Movie Theaters (drudge.com)
- Rand Paul at congressional hearing: Let me drop an Ayn Rand truth bomb on you (hotair.com)
- Sorry, Objectivists: Atlas Shrugged Movie Gets Pummeled By Critics (newsfeed.time.com)